all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I need an Emacs-file..
@ 2005-09-04 17:51 Søren Sander
From: Søren Sander @ 2005-09-04 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

For my root-directory...
Since the one I have is named wrongly... And Windows don't seem to accept me
renaming it...
I actually dont care what the file contains since i have the right text i
cna copy over...

thx
S. Sander
Denmark

* Re: I need an Emacs-file..
@ 2005-09-04 18:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-09-04 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Søren Sander" <S.S.Sander@mail.dk>
> Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:51:07 +0200
>
> For my root-directory...
> Since the one I have is named wrongly... And Windows don't seem to accept me
> renaming it...

My crystal ball says you meant the `.emacs' file.  Windows does allow
such file names, but some Windows programs, like the Explorer, don't
like them.  One way to rename the file is to start the Command Prompt,
then go to the correct directory, and type "ren foo .emacs" (replace
"foo" with the actual name of the file).

Alternatively, start Emacs, then type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET", and then
paste whatever contents you want there, and save the file.

* Re: I need an Emacs-file..
@ 2005-09-06  1:53   ` Brett Kelly
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6006.1125982620.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Brett Kelly @ 2005-09-06  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

on windows, i believe the file is called _emacs, not .emacs (at least, this
is the case on my windows xp machine)

Brett

On 9/4/05, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: "Søren Sander" <S.S.Sander@mail.dk>
> > Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:51:07 +0200
> >
> > For my root-directory...
> > Since the one I have is named wrongly... And Windows don't seem to
> accept me
> > renaming it...
>
> My crystal ball says you meant the `.emacs' file. Windows does allow
> such file names, but some Windows programs, like the Explorer, don't
> like them. One way to rename the file is to start the Command Prompt,
> then go to the correct directory, and type "ren foo .emacs" (replace
> "foo" with the actual name of the file).
>
> Alternatively, start Emacs, then type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET", and then
> paste whatever contents you want there, and save the file.

Brett Kelly
http://inkedmn.com:8000

* Re: I need an Emacs-file..
@ 2005-09-06  4:34     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6006.1125982620.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-09-06  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:53:28 -0700
> From: Brett Kelly <inkedmn@gmail.com>
>
> on windows, i believe the file is called _emacs, not .emacs (at least, this
> is the case on my windows xp machine)

No, it's called .emacs, but Emacs on Windows will use _emacs if .emacs
can not be found.

* Re: I need an Emacs-file..
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6006.1125982620.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-06  6:46       ` Paulo da Costa
From: Paulo da Costa @ 2005-09-06  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>From: Brett Kelly <inkedmn@gmail.com>
>>on windows, i believe the file is called _emacs, not .emacs (at least, this
>>is the case on my windows xp machine)
>
> No, it's called .emacs, but Emacs on Windows will use _emacs if .emacs
> can not be found.

True. You can change the name to .emacs using Emacs itself (edit _emacs
and save as .emacs). Windows Explorer doesn't like the name .emacs, but
you don't have to use it to rename the file.

Paulo

* RE: I need an Emacs-file..
@ 2005-09-06 14:30   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-09-06 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Since the one I have is named wrongly... And Windows don't
    > seem to accept me renaming it...

    My crystal ball says you meant the `.emacs' file.  Windows does allow
    such file names, but some Windows programs, like the Explorer, don't
    like them.  One way to rename the file is to start the Command Prompt,
    then go to the correct directory, and type "ren foo .emacs" (replace
    "foo" with the actual name of the file).

    Alternatively, start Emacs, then type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET", and then
    paste whatever contents you want there, and save the file.

Or rename it in Emacs (Dired):

 emacs -q
 Put the cursor on the file's line.
 Type `R'.
 Type the new name.

Also, be aware that you can name the file "_emacs" instead of ".emacs". That
is a name acceptable to even older versions of Windows.