all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to highlight the mark
@ 2003-11-11  8:55 Wim Yedema
From: Wim Yedema @ 2003-11-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject says it all really.  I want to highlight the mark kind of like
the cursor.

Wim Yedema

* Re: how to highlight the mark
       [not found] <mailman.140.1068544686.2005.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-11  9:11 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2003-11-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wim Yedema wrote:

> Subject says it all really.  I want to highlight the mark kind of like
> the cursor.
>
> Wim Yedema

I don't understand the question.

Are you talking about highlighting the text between point and mark? If so
you need to be in X and use the transient mark mode under Options. It's on
your menu bar. It doesn't work in the console mode.

There are also various options under Options for the cursor itself. Plus
there's a setting to highlight the line your cursor is on.

Hope I've been helpful here. But maybe I'm entirely off base.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.

@ 2003-11-11 10:43 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-11-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wim Yedema <yedema@natlab.research.philips.com> writes:

> Subject says it all really.  I want to highlight the mark kind of like
> the cursor.

Barely tested:

(defvar wy-mark-overlay nil)
(make-variable-buffer-local 'wy-mark-overlay)

(defun wy-move-mark-overlay (pos)
  (move-overlay wy-mark-overlay pos (1+ pos)))

(define-minor-mode wy-highlight-mark-mode
  "Minor mode to highlight the mark."
  nil "wy-mark " nil
  (cond (wy-highlight-mark-mode
	 ;; Turn mode on.
	 (setq wy-mark-overlay (make-overlay (mark) (1+ (mark))))
	 (overlay-put wy-mark-overlay 'face 'highlight))
	(t
	 ;; Turn mode off.
	 (delete-overlay wy-mark-overlay)
	 (setq wy-mark-overlay nil))))

(defadvice set-mark (after wy-highlight-mark activate)
  (when wy-highlight-mark-mode
    (wy-move-mark-overlay (mark))))

It doesn't work well at the end of a line and at `point-max',
though.  I believe that would require hacking the display engine.
You are probably better off using `transient-mark-mode'.

    Oliver
--
21 Brumaire an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

@ 2003-11-11 12:30 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-11 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wim Yedema <yedema@natlab.research.philips.com> writes:

> Subject says it all really.  I want to highlight the mark kind of like
> the cursor.

thats what I use:

;; nice mark - shows mark as a highlighted 'cursor' so user 'always'
;; sees where the mark is. Especially nice for killing a region.

(defvar pg-mark-overlay nil
  "Overlay to show the position where the mark is")
(make-variable-buffer-local 'pg-mark-overlay)

(put 'pg-mark-mark 'face 'secondary-selection)

(defvar pg-mark-old-position nil
  "The position the mark was at. To be able to compare with the
current position")

(defun pg-show-mark ()
  "Display an overlay where the mark is at. Should be hooked into
activate-mark-hook"
  (unless pg-mark-overlay
    (setq pg-mark-overlay (make-overlay 0 0))
    (overlay-put pg-mark-overlay 'category 'pg-mark-mark))
  (let ((here (mark t)))
    (when here
      (move-overlay pg-mark-overlay here (1+ here)))))

(defadvice  exchange-point-and-mark (after pg-mark-exchange-point-and-mark)
  "Show visual marker"
  (pg-show-mark))

(ad-activate 'exchange-point-and-mark)
(add-hook 'activate-mark-hook 'pg-show-mark)

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!