all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Is there a way to remove windows start menu entries created by addpm.exe?
@ 2021-11-07 16:09 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2021-11-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I have installed emacs 27.2 using the .msi installer.
>
> But I still have the emacs 26 entry created by addpm.exe in the start
> men, and when I search for emacs, this is the entry that shows up.
>
> Is there a way to remove the start menu entry created by addpm.exe?
>
> Is it sufficient to remove the folder "D:\Profiles\sb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Gnu Emacs"?
>
> Or are there registry settings that also needs to be removed?

Yes, removing the shorcut file (or folder, in this case) should be
enough.

* Is there a way to remove windows start menu entries created by addpm.exe?
@ 2021-11-07 16:09 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-11-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have installed emacs 27.2 using the .msi installer.

But I still have the emacs 26 entry created by addpm.exe in the start
men, and when I search for emacs, this is the entry that shows up.

Is there a way to remove the start menu entry created by addpm.exe?

Is it sufficient to remove the folder "D:\Profiles\sb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Gnu Emacs"?

Or are there registry settings that also needs to be removed?

Thanks!

* Re: Is there a way to remove windows start menu entries created by addpm.exe?
@ 2021-11-07 20:52   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-11-07 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes, removing the shorcut file (or folder, in this case) should be
> enough.

Thanks! I removed the folder and the "ghost of emacs past" is gone from
the start menu, and the emacs I search up, starts emacs 27.2.

* Re: Is there a way to remove windows start menu entries created by addpm.exe?
@ 2021-11-08  4:28 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-11-08  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But I still have the emacs 26 entry created by addpm.exe in the start
> men, and when I search for emacs, this is the entry that shows up.

Forget about the start men, they're just too slow, getting bogged down
talking about football'n all.  The start women really mean business,
they just get the job done.

* Re: Is there a way to remove windows start menu entries created by addpm.exe?
@ 2021-11-11 21:19   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-11-11 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Forget about the start men, they're just too slow, getting bogged down
> talking about football'n all.  The start women really mean business,
> they just get the job done.

Right!

Three cheers for the Windows start women!

The best way to start emacs on that non-free system!

(I'm psych myself up to spending the money for an MNTReform laptop to
run emacs on... with a fully working keyboard, including arrow
keys... and a free (as in libre) OS)