all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Version 21.3  - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.
@ 2003-11-25 19:56 Will Williamson
From: Will Williamson @ 2003-11-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just downloaded the Emacs version 21.3 tar ball.  McAfee claims that
the tar ball has a virus.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?

* RE: Emacs Version 21.3  - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.
@ 2003-11-25 20:27 andrew.maguire
From: andrew.maguire @ 2003-11-25 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I just downloaded the Emacs version 21.3 tar ball.  McAfee claims that
> the tar ball has a virus.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?

No it does not have virus.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#emacs-virus

Andrew

* Re: Emacs Version 21.3  - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.
       [not found] <mailman.588.1069796194.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-11-26 15:22 ` Will Williamson
From: Will Williamson @ 2003-11-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

andrew.maguire@ps.ge.com wrote in message news:<mailman.588.1069796194.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> > I just downloaded the Emacs version 21.3 tar ball.  McAfee claims that
> > the tar ball has a virus.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?
>
> No it does not have virus.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#emacs-virus
>
> Andrew

The FAQ above states that the virus is in NTEmacs.  I downloaded the
Emacs source tarball which can be built on any platform (or that was
my intent!) directly from the GNU web site.  The FAQ above also
states: "To remove these warnings, update your virus scanner to the
latest version".  I do have the latest version.  I got the virus
warning because I was Windoze machine as a conduit between the web and
our Solaris machine.  Has anyone else seen this problem in the non NT
version of the tar ball?

* Re: Emacs Version 21.3  - McAfee Claims it has a Virus.
@ 2003-11-26 20:32   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-11-26 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

wewilli1@hotmail.com (Will Williamson) writes:

> The FAQ above states that the virus is in NTEmacs.  I downloaded the
> Emacs source tarball which can be built on any platform (or that was
> my intent!) directly from the GNU web site.

My hypothesis is that certain virus programs have a fixed buffer
size for scanning compressed files, and cannot handle .tar.gz bigger
than a certain size. I used to use a virus scanner that bugged on
Emacs, and it also bugged on Ghostscript and other large .tar.gz
files. The solution is to turn off scanning of .tar.gz files. If
there is really a virus in there, it will be picked up when the
archive is unpacked anyway.