all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-06 14:41 ` Bastien
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2006-04-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

C-x r r - is that what you need?

--
Bastien

* How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-06 15:31 billy
From: billy @ 2006-04-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

* How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-06 15:57 ` Pawel
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Pawel @ 2006-04-06 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Maybe this is not a shortest solution, but I'm doing it this way:
M-x kill-rectangle
M-x revert-buffer

billy writes:
 > I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
 > find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
 > find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-06 16:21 ` Holger Sparr
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Holger Sparr @ 2006-04-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Apr 2006, billy wrote:

> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

You might want to use "rect-mark.el". See the usage section in this file
on what to insert in your configuration file.

Holger

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-06 19:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.157.1144392754.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-06 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "billy" <bp1497@att.com>
> Date: 6 Apr 2006 08:31:28 -0700
>
> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

Strange, I see this in the Emacs manual (Node "Rectangles"):

       When you must specify a rectangle for a command to work on, you do it
    by putting the mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner.  The
    rectangle thus specified is called the "region-rectangle" because you
    control it in much the same way as the region is controlled.  But
    remember that a given combination of point and mark values can be
    interpreted either as a region or as a rectangle, depending on the
    command that uses them.

Can you explain how did you searched and why did you miss this?  I
suspect that something in the manual needs to be improved to make
finding this easier.

TIA

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-07  6:33   ` raloupower
From: raloupower @ 2006-04-07  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

And you can use this to see what is possible :

M-x apropos foo

so, do : M-x apropos rectangle, and you'll get the list of the
functions related with rectangle

--
raloupower - email & jabber : raloupower@free.fr - ralou@fritalk.com
PGP/GnuPG key : 1024D/DA96B10A (key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-07  6:52     ` Heinz Tuechler
From: Heinz Tuechler @ 2006-04-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

At 08:33 07.04.2006 +0200, raloupower@free.fr wrote:
>And you can use this to see what is possible :
>
>M-x apropos foo
>
>so, do : M-x apropos rectangle, and you'll get the list of the
>functions related with rectangle

Yes, but this does not give you a hint how to _mark_ a rectangle. I
remember that me too I was searching for the words 'mark' or 'select' and I
needed much time to understand that you don't _see_ the selected rectangle.
Now I know that you find the explanation in the manual, but for a beginner
it's easy to overlook it.

Heinz Tüchler

@ 2006-04-07  7:15   ` Paul Whitfield
From: Paul Whitfield @ 2006-04-07  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heinz Tuechler wrote:
> At 08:33 07.04.2006 +0200, raloupower@free.fr wrote:
>> And you can use this to see what is possible :
>>
>> M-x apropos foo
>>
>> so, do : M-x apropos rectangle, and you'll get the list of the
>> functions related with rectangle

cua-mode (which comes with CVS emacs) includes a rectangle
marking mode that does enable you to see the marked
rectange.

I find it easier to use than the standard emacs
rectangle functions. YMMV.

Paul

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.157.1144392754.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-07  8:22 ` Kim F. Storm
       [not found] ` <mailman.159.1144405507.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.142.1144350522.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-04-07  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

I suppose you mean "mark a visible rectangle", so you can actually
see the rectangle on the screen.

CUA-mode can do that.

Option 1:
Get CUA-mode from the link below.
Install and enable it.
Then use S-return to mark a (visible) rectangle.

Option 2:
Get the "soon-to-be-released" emacs 22.x from savannah.gnu.org.
It has cua-mode (a successor to CUA-mode) built in.
Enable cua-mode (from the Options menu).
Then use C-return to mark rectangles.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
       [not found] ` <mailman.159.1144405507.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-10 12:56   ` Mathias Dahl
       [not found]     ` <mailman.253.1144688772.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-04-10 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Option 2:
> Get the "soon-to-be-released" emacs 22.x from savannah.gnu.org.
> It has cua-mode (a successor to CUA-mode) built in.
> Enable cua-mode (from the Options menu).
> Then use C-return to mark rectangles.

Since I finally got used to Emacs' standard bindings I do not use CUA,
but I would be interested in using this particular feature (although
using transient-mark-mode works quite well). Is it possible to use
just this from CUA?

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-10 17:06     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.253.1144688772.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-04-10 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.04.2006 um 14:56 schrieb Mathias Dahl:

> transient-mark-mode

I use it completely independent of CUA mode:

	 '(transient-mark-mode t)

in my custom settings.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                     Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
       [not found]     ` <mailman.253.1144688772.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-11  7:31       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-04-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> transient-mark-mode
>
> I use it completely independent of CUA mode:
>
> 	 '(transient-mark-mode t)

Sorry, I was unclear. My question was if you could use the visible
rectangle marking thingy from CUA without using the whole CUA.

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
       [not found] ` <mailman.142.1144350522.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-11  9:02   ` Richard
From: Richard @ 2006-04-11  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

 "Eli"posted the following on 2006-04-06:

>> From: "billy" <bp1497@att.com>
>> Date: 6 Apr 2006 08:31:28 -0700
>>
>> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
>> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
>> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.
>
> Strange, I see this in the Emacs manual (Node "Rectangles"):
>
>        When you must specify a rectangle for a command to work on, you do it
>     by putting the mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner.  The
>     rectangle thus specified is called the "region-rectangle" because you
>     control it in much the same way as the region is controlled.  But
>     remember that a given combination of point and mark values can be
>     interpreted either as a region or as a rectangle, depending on the
>     command that uses them.
>
> Can you explain how did you searched and why did you miss this?  I
> suspect that something in the manual needs to be improved to make
> finding this easier.
>
> TIA

I fairness to the OP, that says nothing about how to mark the
rectangle and manipulate it. e.g related commands, hiliting the
rectangle as opposed to the entire sub-region etc.

* Re: How to mark a rectangle
@ 2006-04-11 18:28     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-11 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Richard" <r@gmil.com>
> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:02:57 +0200
>
>  "Eli"posted the following on 2006-04-06:
>
> >> From: "billy" <bp1497@att.com>
> >> Date: 6 Apr 2006 08:31:28 -0700
> >>
> >> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> >> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> >> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.
> >
> > Strange, I see this in the Emacs manual (Node "Rectangles"):
> >
> >        When you must specify a rectangle for a command to work on, you do it
> >     by putting the mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner.  The
> >     rectangle thus specified is called the "region-rectangle" because you
> >     control it in much the same way as the region is controlled.  But
> >     remember that a given combination of point and mark values can be
> >     interpreted either as a region or as a rectangle, depending on the
> >     command that uses them.
>
> I fairness to the OP, that says nothing about how to mark the
> rectangle and manipulate it. e.g related commands, hiliting the
> rectangle as opposed to the entire sub-region etc.

But the OP only asked about how to _mark_ the rectangle, not how to
operate on it!  And the paragraph I cited clearly says ".. put the
mark at one corner and point at the opposite corner."  What can be
more clear than that?  And how is that citation unfair to the OP?