all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem in using xpdf  with auctex
@ 2006-05-18  4:52 Tong Wang
From: Tong Wang @ 2006-05-18  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,
    I am using emacs under windows XP, and also have Cygwin installed.

    When I call the "View" in auctex to view pdf files,  the default command is:  xpdf  myfile.pdf
but this doesn't work and complains that  "cygX11-6.dl was not found ".  But I am sure the installations
are fine, because I have no problem using xpdf to open the same file in Xwin through Cygwin.

     Does this mean I can't call xpdf from emacs ?  in this case , what alternatives do I have to get around this ?
Can I associate "View" with other programs , if yes , could someone tell me how to tweak the .emacs file so
that I only need to do C-c C-c to view the myfile.pdf as output of "pdflatex myfile.tex" ? Sorry for being greedy,
I have spent a lot of time playing with emacs, and really need to get back to my project.

thanks a lot for any help

tong

* Re: Problem in using xpdf  with auctex
       [not found] <mailman.1986.1147930699.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-18  5:59 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-18  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tong Wang <wangtong@usc.edu> writes:

> Does this mean I can't call xpdf from emacs ?

I don't think so, but at least I don't know whats going wrong.

> in this case , what alternatives do I have to get around this ?  Can I
> associate "View" with other programs , if yes , could someone tell me
> how to tweak the .emacs file so that I only need to do C-c C-c to view
> the myfile.pdf as output of "pdflatex myfile.tex" ?

I prefer kpdf over xpdf, so I have this line in my ~/.emacs.

,----[ ~/.emacs ]
| (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook
|           (lambda ()
|             (add-to-list 'TeX-output-view-style
|                          '("^pdf$" "." "kpdf %o"))))
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

* Re: Problem in using xpdf  with auctex
@ 2006-05-18 19:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2040.1147984991.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-18 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:52:25 -0700
> From: Tong Wang <wangtong@usc.edu>
>
>     I am using emacs under windows XP, and also have Cygwin installed.
>
>     When I call the "View" in auctex to view pdf files,  the default command is:  xpdf  myfile.pdf
> but this doesn't work and complains that  "cygX11-6.dl was not found ".  But I am sure the installations
> are fine, because I have no problem using xpdf to open the same file in Xwin through Cygwin.

What build of Emacs is that?  If it isn't a Cygwin build, it's
possible that there's some incompatibility wrt handling PATH, since a
non-Cygwin Emacs doesn't understand the /cygdrive/ magic used by
Cygwin programs.

* Re: Problem in using xpdf  with auctex
@ 2006-05-18 20:43   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2040.1147984991.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-18 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:52:25 -0700
>> From: Tong Wang <wangtong@usc.edu>
>>
>>     I am using emacs under windows XP, and also have Cygwin installed.
>>
>>     When I call the "View" in auctex to view pdf files,  the default command is:  xpdf  myfile.pdf
>> but this doesn't work and complains that  "cygX11-6.dl was not found ".  But I am sure the installations
>> are fine, because I have no problem using xpdf to open the same file in Xwin through Cygwin.
>>

> What build of Emacs is that?  If it isn't a Cygwin build, it's
> possible that there's some incompatibility wrt handling PATH, since a
> non-Cygwin Emacs doesn't understand the /cygdrive/ magic used by
> Cygwin programs.

I am not quite sure, but doesn't it do that with cygwin-mount.el?

* Re: Problem in using xpdf  with auctex
@ 2006-05-19  9:52     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-19  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:43:05 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC:  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > What build of Emacs is that?  If it isn't a Cygwin build, it's
> > possible that there's some incompatibility wrt handling PATH, since a
> > non-Cygwin Emacs doesn't understand the /cygdrive/ magic used by
> > Cygwin programs.
> >
> I am not quite sure, but doesn't it do that with cygwin-mount.el?

It depends on the details, and Emacs doesn't come with cygwin-mount.el
anyway.

@ 2006-05-19 22:00     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-05-19 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>> What build of Emacs is that?  If it isn't a Cygwin build, it's
>> possible that there's some incompatibility wrt handling PATH, since a
>> non-Cygwin Emacs doesn't understand the /cygdrive/ magic used by
>> Cygwin programs.
>>
> I am not quite sure, but doesn't it do that with cygwin-mount.el?

cygwin-mount.el will let Emacs recognize cygwin paths when finding
files, but it will not affect the PATH that is used for running
commands.