all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-04-29 14:12 Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2003-04-29 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've downloaded the latest Cygwin. For comparison I also installed
MinGW. Then I downloaded the cvs emacs repository.

I read the readme/install etc. files. According to these files I should
change to subdir emacs/nt and run a batch file configure.bat (but why
use a batch file first on a win command prompt and then a shell for
compiling?).

As written in INSTALL-CVS I've invoked the makefile via 'make
bootstrap'. But failed. No idea. I tried the command within a win2k
command prompt, with MinGW/MSYS, and finally with bash from Cygwin. All
three are working quiet a while and all three are stopping with the same
error message like below:

C:/bin/msys/1.0/mingw/include/setjmp.h:63: conflicting types for
`longjmp'
w32fns.c:10488: previous declaration of `longjmp'
w32fns.c:11019: parse error before "jpeg_resync_to_restart_wrapper"
w32fns.c:11020: parse error before "j_decompress_ptr"
w32fns.c:11020: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
w32fns.c:11022: parse error before '{' token
w32fns.c:11047: field `pub' has incomplete type
w32fns.c:11049: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[2]: *** [oo-spd/i386/w32fns.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/usr/uli/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-temacs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/usr/uli/emacs/src'
make: *** [bootstrap-gmake] Error 2

I have no idea what I did wrong nor how I can correct it. Maybe my
environment isn't setup correctly?

Please help.

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr

* Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-04-30 23:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-30 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> As written in INSTALL-CVS I've invoked the makefile via 'make
> bootstrap'.

Read it til the end, where it says:

    Questions, requests, and bug reports about the CVS versions of Emacs
    should be sent to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org rather.

-- Stefan

* Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-05-02 21:33 ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-02 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:

> I've downloaded the latest Cygwin. For comparison I also installed
> MinGW. Then I downloaded the cvs emacs repository.

I've just compilled the CVS version of emacs on windows.

The easiest way is using mingw and msys.

1) Simply install mingw in c:\mingw and install msys in c:\msys. Then
   add c:\mingw\bin and c:\msys\bin to your path.

2) Also don't forget to copy c:\mingw\mingw32-make.exe to
   c:\mingw\make.exe so that there will ba a "make" in your path.

3) Then open a "command prompt", by running cmd.exe or command
   depending on your version of windows. Go to wherever you have the
   cvs of emacs and run configure. After that type "make install
   INSTALL_DIR=c:/emacs" (replace c:/emacs with whatever directory you
   want emacs in).

4) For some reason I have to go into c:/emacs/bin and run addpm.exe
   manually (it happens automatically with other versions of emacs) to
   add the emacs icon and everything.

Hope that helps,
Bijan

* Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-05-02 23:46   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-05-02 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> "Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:
>
> > I've downloaded the latest Cygwin. For comparison I also installed
> > MinGW. Then I downloaded the cvs emacs repository.
>
> I've just compilled the CVS version of emacs on windows.

Also if anyone wants it I have a tarball of CVS emacs for windows. It
includes image support (jpg, png, tiff, xpm). It's about 22 megs as a
bzip2 file and 28 megs as a gzip file. I could always get rid of some
things (like lisp source files).

It can be downloaded from my website at:
http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/

All that's needed is to unpack it somewhere, and then run
~/emacs/bin/addpm.exe to add menu entries and whatever.

I'll try to keep it up to date, but I don't have access to windows at
home. So I guess I'll try to update it every three or four weeks.

Bijan

* Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-05-02 23:56     ` Lucas
From: Lucas @ 2003-05-02 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Un beau jour, Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> nous a dit:

> Also if anyone wants it I have a tarball of CVS emacs for windows. It
> includes image support (jpg, png, tiff, xpm). It's about 22 megs as a
> bzip2 file and 28 megs as a gzip file. I could always get rid of some
> things (like lisp source files).
>
> It can be downloaded from my website at:
> http://www.crasseux.com/emacs/
>
> All that's needed is to unpack it somewhere, and then run
> ~/emacs/bin/addpm.exe to add menu entries and whatever.
>
> I'll try to keep it up to date, but I don't have access to windows at
> home. So I guess I'll try to update it every three or four weeks.
>
> Bijan

Thank you ! ;-)

--
Lucas

* Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
@ 2003-05-05  2:49       ` Damon Riley
From: Damon Riley @ 2003-05-05  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

The *easiest* way to do this is to get the GNU Win II cd.

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/order.html

Buy it or download, it's a snap.  I give these CDs away to people all
the time.  They've got the windows versions of dozens of Free programs,
including Emacs.

--Damon

@ 2003-05-06 21:43         ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-05-06 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Damon Riley <damonriley@alumni.DONTSPAM.umass.edu> wrote in message news:<3EB5D130.60708@alumni.DONTSPAM.umass.edu>...
> The *easiest* way to do this is to get the GNU Win II cd.

I don't know what you think this is the easiest way to do, but the
contents of that CD do not mention Emacs at all, let alone the CVS
version. In fact the CD appears to be badly named, as it contains
a lot of non-GNU (but thankfully Free) software, sometimes where GNU
alternatives are available.