all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-13 16:18 Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-05-13 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm seeing peculiar indentation in some of my XML files.  For example,
if I start with the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="ScreenDesigner" default="help" basedir=".">
    <!-- Project directories -->
    <property name="src.dir"              value="src"/>
    <property name="doc.dir"              value="doc"/>
    <property name="dist.dir"             value="dist"/>
    <property name="lib.dir"              value="lib"/>
    <property name="bin.dir"              value="bin"/>

    <!-- Temporary build directories -->
    <property name="build.dir"            value="build"/>
    <property name="build.classes"        value="${build.dir}/classes"/>
    <property name="build.doc"            value="${build.dir}/doc"/>
    <property name="build.lib"            value="${build.dir}/lib"/>

and run mark-whole-buffer, and run indent-region, I get the
following.  Is a bug in SGML mode?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="ScreenDesigner" default="help" basedir=".">
  <!-- Project directories -->
  <property name="src.dir"              value="src"/>
    <property name="doc.dir"              value="doc"/>
      <property name="dist.dir"             value="dist"/>
	<property name="lib.dir"              value="lib"/>
	  <property name="bin.dir"              value="bin"/>

	    <!-- Temporary build directories -->
	    <property name="build.dir"            value="build"/>
	      <property name="build.classes"        value="${build.dir}/classes"/>
		<property name="build.doc"            value="${build.dir}/doc"/>
		  <property name="build.lib"            value="${build.dir}/lib"/>

Jeff
,----
| Jeffery B. Rancier
|
| Softechnics
| a METTLER TOLEDO company
`----

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
       [not found] <mailman.6112.1052843222.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-13 19:58 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

> I'm seeing peculiar indentation in some of my XML files.  For example,
> if I start with the following:

Are you using PSGML or the SGML mode that comes with Emacs?

Did you turn on XML mode for this buffer, or the generic SGML mode?
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-13 23:21   ` Peter Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6260.1053020030.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-05-13 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> jeff.rancier@softechnics.com (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:
>
>> I'm seeing peculiar indentation in some of my XML files.  For example,
>> if I start with the following:

I'm having problems with fontification myself. I have the following in
my .emacs:

autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "psgml" t)
(defun my-xml-mode-hook ()
  (cond (window-system
         (setq sgml-set-face t)
         (setq sgml-indent-data t))))

(add-hook 'sgml-mode-hook 'my-xml-mode-hook)

When I open an xml file it is initially not fontified. However if I
select a region and do C-M-\ it then fontifies.

Any ideas why that would be ?

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-15  8:35     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-15  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> When I open an xml file it is initially not fontified. However if I
> select a region and do C-M-\ it then fontifies.

That's because PSGML uses its own fontification mechanism, and avoids
font-lock.  PSGML does fontification lazily, in a way, so it only
fontifies things that you change.  You can also go to a line
and hit TAB -- then it will fontify everything up to that line.

When PSGML was written, font-lock was probably not powerful enough for
proper SGML font-locking: you can change the < and > characters in
SGML, so regular expressions don't work.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-15 14:53       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-15 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> When PSGML was written, font-lock was probably not powerful enough for
> proper SGML font-locking: you can change the < and > characters in
> SGML, so regular expressions don't work.

I don't think that's the issue, since PSGML does not support different
values of stago, etago, and tagc (other than the default values "<",
"</", and ">"):

| File: psgml.info,  Node: SGML declaration,  Next: Managing the DTD,  Prev:
Validate,  Up: Top

****************|

--

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-15 15:22       ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-05-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> That's because PSGML uses its own fontification mechanism, and avoids
> font-lock.  PSGML does fontification lazily, in a way, so it only
> fontifies things that you change.  You can also go to a line
> and hit TAB -- then it will fontify everything up to that line.
>
> When PSGML was written, font-lock was probably not powerful enough for
> proper SGML font-locking: you can change the < and > characters in
> SGML, so regular expressions don't work.

That's fine... I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a config issue on
my end.

Thanks for the info.

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-15 17:27   ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6260.1053020030.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-05-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Are you using PSGML or the SGML mode that comes with Emacs?

Out of the box SGML mode. (along with xslt-process as the minor mode).

> Did you turn on XML mode for this buffer, or the generic SGML mode?

No.  I add nothing to the auto-mode-alist for an xml extension.  Suggestions?

Jeff
,----
| Jeffery B. Rancier
|
| Softechnics
| a METTLER TOLEDO company
`----

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-16  6:21         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-16  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> When PSGML was written, font-lock was probably not powerful enough for
>> proper SGML font-locking: you can change the < and > characters in
>> SGML, so regular expressions don't work.
>
> I don't think that's the issue, since PSGML does not support different
> values of stago, etago, and tagc (other than the default values "<",
> "</", and ">"):

Oh.  So why does it things this way, then?
--
This line is not blank.

@ 2003-05-17 17:16     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6432.1053392287.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-05-17 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Are you using PSGML or the SGML mode that comes with Emacs?
> Out of the box SGML mode. (along with xslt-process as the minor mode).

Out of the box, Emacs's sgml-mode does not have xslt-process, does not do
indentation, and does not know anything about XML.

You might want to try:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD

which adds XML support and indentation to "out of the box SGML mode".

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-19 14:36       ` Jeffery B. Rancier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6432.1053392287.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-05-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>>> Are you using PSGML or the SGML mode that comes with Emacs?
>> Out of the box SGML mode. (along with xslt-process as the minor mode).
>
> Out of the box, Emacs's sgml-mode does not have xslt-process, does not do
> indentation, and does not know anything about XML.
> You might want to try:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
>
> which adds XML support and indentation to "out of the box SGML mode".

That appears to be the same module included in my install (although
more current, is that what you were implying?), in
/emacs-21.3/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el.

Also, from the Menu->SGML->File Options, there is *Indent Step*, and
*Indent Data*.  Are we talking about two different SGML modes?
Jeff
,----

`----

@ 2003-05-20  6:40         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-05-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Out of the box, Emacs's sgml-mode does not have xslt-process, does not do
>> indentation, and does not know anything about XML.
>> You might want to try:
>>
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
>>
>> which adds XML support and indentation to "out of the box SGML mode".

> That appears to be the same module included in my install (although
> more current, is that what you were implying?), in
> /emacs-21.3/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el.

As indirectly mentioned in my previous message, "more current" in this case
implies "adds XML support and indentation".

* Re: Indentation problems in SGML mode
@ 2003-05-21 20:39           ` Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-05-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

>>> Out of the box, Emacs's sgml-mode does not have xslt-process, does not do
>>> indentation, and does not know anything about XML.
>>> You might want to try:
>>>
>>> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el?rev=HEAD
>>>
>>> which adds XML support and indentation to "out of the box SGML mode".
>
>> That appears to be the same module included in my install (although
>> more current, is that what you were implying?), in
>> /emacs-21.3/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el.
>
> As indirectly mentioned in my previous message, "more current" in this case
> implies "adds XML support and indentation".

OK, I found buried in the XAE package, a version of PSGML.  So, that
is in fact what I'm using.  I removed that and retrieved the current
PSGML:

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2003-03-27 on buffy
Package: psgml.el 1.3.1

I guess I'll submit a bug-report.

Thanks.