all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Windows Control Panel Colors
Date: 05 Jun 2003 00:00:52 +0100	[thread overview]

Michael Mauger <mmaug@yahoo.com> writes:

> Can we get agreement on the first part of the patch (i.e., loading
> the Windows control panel colors onto `w32-color-map') and leave
> the second portion of the patch (i.e., mapping specific faces to
> use the the control panel colors) off?  That way, those of us who
> wish to use the control panel colors can, by customizing the faces,
> but the current defaults can stand.

My only concern with the effect of your patch is basing the modeline
face on titlebar colors. The rest of the changes do not seem likely to
cause complaints.

As far as the implementation details go, I'd like to rewrite the patch
to comply with GNU coding guidelines and reduce the complexity of the
for statement. Also, I think it would be better to use a more generic
prefix so we can have some commonality if the same thing is done on
other platforms (it may be useful for GTK, Mac and maybe even CDE
users to be able to use color names that correspond to the system
settings rather than physical colors).

If you'd like to contribute to Emacs in future, it may be worth it for
you to make these changes and arrange the neccesary copyright assignments.
Otherwise I will try to do it over the next few days.