all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Color-theme & Emacs crash
@ 2005-08-31 14:26 rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-08-31 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris McMahan wrote:
> I would highly recommend you take a look at the emacs color-theme
> package. I have been using it regularly for some time now!
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

I keep hearing about this and decided to try it.  I
downloaded 6.5.5 and I'm running CVS Emacs on Windows XP.
I was trying to look at all the themes available and had
looked at about 20 (some more than once) when Emacs crashed.

Does anyone know if it's related to my trying to check out
every theme available?  If I just pick a theme and stick with
with it can I safely work without worry of a sporadic crash?

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
@ 2005-08-31 17:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.5617.1125511052.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-31 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.08.2005 um 16:26 schrieb rgb:

> Does anyone know if it's related to my trying to check out
> every theme available?  If I just pick a theme and stick with
> with it can I safely work without worry of a sporadic crash?

I encountered the same with GNU Emacsen 22 and 23: at some time they
crashed. Since I saw more freak than ergonomic designs I freed myself
and my Emacsen from it. No investigation done.

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
       [not found] ` <mailman.5617.1125511052.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-31 19:41   ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-08-31 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 31.08.2005 um 16:26 schrieb rgb:
>
> > Does anyone know if it's related to my trying to check out
> > every theme available?  If I just pick a theme and stick with
> > with it can I safely work without worry of a sporadic crash?
> >

> I encountered the same with GNU Emacsen 22 and 23: at some time they
> crashed. Since I saw more freak than ergonomic designs I freed myself
> and my Emacsen from it. No investigation done.

Much appreciated.
I may try to use it anyway but I'll keep my guard up when I do.

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
       [not found] ` <mailman.5617.1125511052.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-01 10:31 ` William XWL
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5707.1125589720.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: William XWL @ 2005-09-01 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

> Chris McMahan wrote:
>> I would highly recommend you take a look at the emacs color-theme
>> package. I have been using it regularly for some time now!
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme
>
> I keep hearing about this and decided to try it.  I
> downloaded 6.5.5 and I'm running CVS Emacs on Windows XP.
> I was trying to look at all the themes available and had
> looked at about 20 (some more than once) when Emacs crashed.
>
> Does anyone know if it's related to my trying to check out
> every theme available?  If I just pick a theme and stick with
> with it can I safely work without worry of a sporadic crash?

I'm using color-theme 6.5.0 on Emacs 22.0.50.1, Linux. It works pretty
well for long.

--
William

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
@ 2005-09-01 15:00   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5707.1125589720.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.09.2005 um 12:31 schrieb William XWL:

> I'm using color-theme 6.5.0 on Emacs 22.0.50.1, Linux. It works pretty
> well for long.

You're using one! How often and with which frequency did you change the
themes? The re-re-re-re-...-loading makes something get wrong or fail,
that GNU Emacs finally crashes. From looking at the statements that
make up a theme I'd presume they don't hurt Emacs (only my feeling for
aesthetics).

--
Greetings

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
@ 2005-09-01 15:19     ` William XWL
From: William XWL @ 2005-09-01 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.09.2005 um 12:31 schrieb William XWL:
>
>> I'm using color-theme 6.5.0 on Emacs 22.0.50.1, Linux. It works pretty
>> well for long.
>>

> You're using one! How often and with which frequency did you change the
> themes? The re-re-re-re-...-loading makes something get wrong or fail,
> that GNU Emacs finally crashes. From looking at the statements that
> make up a theme I'd presume they don't hurt Emacs (only my feeling for
> aesthetics).

Hehe... How many themes do you use? It would be too crazy to change from
one theme to another all the time. Once after trying out all existing
themes, i'll stick to one(possbily with some modifications) of them.

--
William

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5707.1125589720.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-02 12:52     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2005-09-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've noticed that swapping themes very frequently, as you would when
checking out available themes.

I have 2 themes I'm primarily using, that I made up from scratch (not
listed in the color-theme-select function). If anyone's interested, I
can send them out (darker backgrounds, fairly conservative coloring,
no bold faces).

- Chris

> Am 01.09.2005 um 12:31 schrieb William XWL:
>
>> I'm using color-theme 6.5.0 on Emacs 22.0.50.1, Linux. It works pretty
>> well for long.
>>

> You're using one! How often and with which frequency did you change
> the themes? The re-re-re-re-...-loading makes something get wrong or
> fail, that GNU Emacs finally crashes. From looking at the statements
> that make up a theme I'd presume they don't hurt Emacs (only my
> feeling for aesthetics).
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
       [not found] ` <mailman.5617.1125511052.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-02 19:01   ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-09-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Does anyone know if it's related to my trying to check out
> > every theme available?  If I just pick a theme and stick with
> > with it can I safely work without worry of a sporadic crash?
> >

> I encountered the same with GNU Emacsen 22 and 23: at some time they
> crashed. Since I saw more freak than ergonomic designs I freed myself
> and my Emacsen from it. No investigation done.

Well I've had no more crashes since sticking to just one.
Unfortunately there are other bad side effects.
I can't use ps-print any more if I switch to a decent color
scheme because it doesn't notice the dark background.  All
the text is so light, at first I thought the page was blank.

* Re: Color-theme & Emacs crash
@ 2005-09-02 19:08     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2005-09-02 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check out the variable ps-print-color-p. You can default to printing
only black and white (nil)

ps-print-color-p's value is nil

*Specify how buffer's text color is printed.

Valid values are:

   nil		Do not print colors.

   t		Print colors.

   black-white	Print colors on black/white printer.
		See also `ps-black-white-faces'.

- Chris