all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how can I isearch in selected region?
@ 2005-12-28 10:34 luciferleo
From: luciferleo @ 2005-12-28 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

given a region selected by C-@, you can kill-region by C-w, you can
kill-ring-save by M-w

given a buffer, you can isearch-forward by C-s, you can
isearch-backward by C-r

but how can you combine them? I cannot find a isearch-forward-region or
something related.

* Re: how can I isearch in selected region?
@ 2005-12-28 12:58 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2005-12-28 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Dec 2005 02:34:21 -0800, "luciferleo" <LuciferLeo@gmail.com> wrote:
> given a region selected by C-@, you can kill-region by C-w, you can
> kill-ring-save by M-w
>
> given a buffer, you can isearch-forward by C-s, you can
> isearch-backward by C-r
>
> but how can you combine them? I cannot find a isearch-forward-region or
> something related.

You can narrow the buffer to the region with ``C-x n n'', perform
any operation that would affect the entire buffer only on the
narrowed region and widen the view of the current buffer to the
full buffer contents with ``C-x n w'' again.

I regularly use this to replace-string or replace-regexp in a
region and it works quite fine :)

* Re: how can I isearch in selected region?
@ 2005-12-29  9:57   ` luciferleo
From: luciferleo @ 2005-12-29  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I got it, thanks a lot

* Re: how can I isearch in selected region?
@ 2005-12-30  7:59   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-12-30  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> You can narrow the buffer to the region with ``C-x n n'', perform
> any operation that would affect the entire buffer only on the
> narrowed region and widen the view of the current buffer to the
> full buffer contents with ``C-x n w'' again.
>
> I regularly use this to replace-string or replace-regexp in a
> region and it works quite fine :)

I use replace-string without narrowing, with transient-mark-mode, and
it works good too.