all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
@ 2005-08-04 17:57 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-08-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw

[ From `bug-gnu-emacs'...]

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The node you quoted is from an appendix that describes the MS-DOS port
> of Emacs, which uses codepage.el.  On other systems, Emacs uses a
> different implementation of code pages, the one from code-pages.el.

On GNU/Linux, Emacs autoloads window-12xx.  I.e. if Gnus displays an
article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

Does it make sense to add autoload statements like this (in
`codepage.el'?)?

  (autoload-coding-system 'cpNNN '(codepage-setup NNN))

Or maybe do it for all supported codepages:

(mapc (lambda (cp)
	(setq cp (string-to-number (car cp)))
	(autoload-coding-system (intern (format "cp%s" cp))
				`(codepage-setup ,cp)))
      (cp-supported-codepages))

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
@ 2005-08-04 18:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw

> From: Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:57:43 +0200
>
> On GNU/Linux, Emacs autoloads window-12xx.

Yes, I know that.  But this has nothing to do with the text in the
MS-DOS appendix of the manual: that text describes codepage.el which
is only used in the MS-DOS port.  GNU/Linux uses code-pages.el, which
is a different (and slightly incompatible) implementation of the same
functionality.

> I.e. if Gnus displays an
> article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
> correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
> encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
> system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
> obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

See code-pages.el.  I don't know the answer for that, perhaps the code
will tell you.  IIRC, `codepage-setup' was declared obsolete because
the need to do something in order for a coding system to become
available was deemed a bad idea.  But I don't remember the details,
nor what would be the Right Way.  The birth of code-pages.el was
accompanied by heated discussions, so some issues were lost in the
dispute and never resolved.

* Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
@ 2005-08-05  1:32 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-08-05  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>  I.e. if Gnus displays an
>>  article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
>>  correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
>>  encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
>>  system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
>>  obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

> See code-pages.el.  I don't know the answer for that, perhaps the code
> will tell you.  IIRC, `codepage-setup' was declared obsolete because
> the need to do something in order for a coding system to become
> available was deemed a bad idea.  But I don't remember the details,
> nor what would be the Right Way.  The birth of code-pages.el was
> accompanied by heated discussions, so some issues were lost in the
> dispute and never resolved.

Reiner, I thought that you added autoload cookies to all
coding systems in code-pages.el, but I've just found that
you actually added it only to iso-8859-* and windows-125*.
I think there's no problem in adding the cookie to all
coding systems defined in code-pages.el.  So, I've just
commited such a change.  Now there's no need to "setup
cpNNN" on GNU/Linux and Unix system.  I've also changed the
relevant etc/NEWS entry to this:

*** Many new coding systems are available in the `code-pages' library.
These include complete versions of most of those in codepage.el, based
on Unicode mappings.  `codepage-setup' is now obsolete and is used
only in the MS-DOS port of Emacs.  All coding systems defined in
`code-pages' are auto-loaded.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org