all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-07  4:24 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-11-07  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
printer? My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default) or
LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-07  7:07 ` Lennart Borgman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-07  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:

>Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
>printer? My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
>from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default) or
>LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
>minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
>function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
>I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.
>
>Thanks,
>Ed

See http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

You should be able to use EmacsW32 ver 0.92 together with Emacs 21.3.
This will add some simple printing capabilities to Emacs. It is however
using your web browser. Are you able to print to your local printer from
your web browser?

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-07 20:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.14313.1131394933.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:24:24 GMT
>
> Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
> printer?

Yes, easily.

> My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
> from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default) or
> LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
> minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
> function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
> I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.

Did you try to read the manual and follow its advice?  The node
"MS-DOS printing" (whose name is misleading: it pertains to Windows as
well) explains how to find out what printer name to use in Emacs and
how to set up printing in several popular situations.

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.14313.1131394933.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-08  1:11   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-11-08  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> > Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:24:24 GMT
> >
> > Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
> > printer?
>
> Yes, easily.
>
> > My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
> > from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default)
or
> > LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
> > minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
> > function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
> > I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.
>
> Did you try to read the manual and follow its advice?  The node
> "MS-DOS printing" (whose name is misleading: it pertains to Windows as
> well) explains how to find out what printer name to use in Emacs and
> how to set up printing in several popular situations.

Thanks  Lennart and Eli. Eli, yes I did read it, more than once. I think
I even understood everything except the part about printing on a
network. I left 'lpr-command at "" (null string). I tried PRN (and
suffixed with :), LPT1, LPT2, LPT3. Printer light blinks once but
nothing else happens. It's no longer possible to test printing from the
dos shell since COPY FILENAME PRN and TYPE FILENAME > PRN are no longer
supported by dos, at least not under windows. A program (I think by
Lennart) named something like winprint.el can print through Notepad but
it overwrites part of the menu bar and then (fortunately after printing)
crashes Notepad.  I would like to try Lennart's w32-print.el but I am
having trouble finding it. Also I want to stick with the current 21.3
ntemacs rather than change to a windows work-alike. The closest to doing
what I want is possible by going through Ghostscript/Ghostview. With
this in my .emacs:

(setq ps-lpr-command "C:\\Program Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsprint.exe")
(setq ps-printer-name t)

I can print ordinary files with this setup but if the files contain any
characters outside of the Latin-1 range then a popup dialogue appears
with: "Font for some characters not found..." when I run Postscript
print buffer. I don't know why the emacs file can't just be mapped to
one bit per pixel  and sent to the printer the way the GDI printer works
in Windows.
Lennart, yes the printer works from the browser. I printed out all 9
pages of your web site in living color. Does the w32-print.el also use
the web browser? I want to keep emacs working as much as possible like
the GNU Linux version and do things with the simplest theoretically
possible method. With only the following w32 related tweaks to my
.emacs:
 '(indent-tabs-mode nil)
 '(kill-read-only-ok t)
 '(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select))
 '(sentence-end "[.?!][]\"')}]*\\($\\| $\\| \\| \\)[
]*")
;; the above used to have a \n in the repexp but the actual
;; linefeed seems not to affect the working of it.
;; changed from default to have dot space interpreted
;; as sentence end.
 '(sentence-end-double-space nil)
 '(tab-stop-list (quote (3 8 20 35 50 70 85 100 115)))
 '(tab-width 3)

Calendar display is messed up and text buffers with long lines sometimes
fail to wrap lines (no bent arrow and text to the right of the frame can
only be seen if the line is split with a hard return. When this happens,
point and mouse click no longer correspond but this out-of-synchness can
be corrected by changing font size and then changing it back. Apparently
emacs is doing something with calculating line length based on the
current font character widths.

Thanks again. I guess I'll have to settle for save as utf-8 encoding,
insert as encoded text into an OpenOffice text file and then copy-paste
or print from there.

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-08  1:23     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14348.1131425112.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-08  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven wrote:

>Lennart, yes the printer works from the browser. I printed out all 9
>pages of your web site in living color. Does the w32-print.el also use
>the web browser? I want to keep emacs working as much as possible like
>the GNU Linux version and do things with the simplest theoretically
>possible method.

I think that the easiest then is that you grap the file
EmacsW32-0.89.zip from here:

    http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/Emacs-21.3/

Then look for w32-print.el (I hope that was the name then) and check
what it requires. Please let me know how it works for you!

PS: Normally I think it is much easier to take the exe file instead and
do the installation from there. But that might do a bit more than you
want now. It installs gnuserv for example. (And I am no more quite sure
what version 0.89 does. This is the last version for Emacs 21.3. Newer
versions are for the next generation of Emacs.)

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-08  4:45     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14348.1131425112.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-08  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:11:07 GMT
>
> Thanks  Lennart and Eli. Eli, yes I did read it, more than once. I think
> I even understood everything except the part about printing on a
> network. I left 'lpr-command at "" (null string). I tried PRN (and
> suffixed with :), LPT1, LPT2, LPT3. Printer light blinks once but
> nothing else happens.

Does it blink no matter which port name you use?  Or just for some
specific port?  If the latter, which port causes the blinking?

You can cause the printer to capture a specific port in the "Ports"
tab of the printer settings (Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then
right-click on the printer name and select Properties).

Failing that, there's a nice program called PrFile32 (look for it on
the net).  You can set it up to be your lpr replacement with the
following settings:

 (setq lpr-command "C:/Program Files/PrintFile/prfile32.exe")
 (setq lpr-switches '("/q"))

(If your printer supports Postscript, you can add 2 similar settings
for ps-print.)

> (setq ps-lpr-command "C:\\Program Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsprint.exe")
> (setq ps-printer-name t)
>
> I can print ordinary files with this setup but if the files contain any
> characters outside of the Latin-1 range then a popup dialogue appears
> with: "Font for some characters not found..." when I run Postscript
> print buffer.

That's a different problem: you need to install BDF fonts and set up
ps-print to use them.  See the large commentary in the file ps-mule.el
for more details.

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14348.1131425112.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-10  2:10       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-11-10  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> > Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:11:07 GMT
> >
> > Thanks  Lennart and Eli. Eli, yes I did read it, more than once. I
think
> > I even understood everything except the part about printing on a
> > network. I left 'lpr-command at "" (null string). I tried PRN (and
> > suffixed with :), LPT1, LPT2, LPT3. Printer light blinks once but
> > nothing else happens.
>
> Does it blink no matter which port name you use?  Or just for some
> specific port?  If the latter, which port causes the blinking?

Unfortunately, the former. It blinks once on all ports and then sends
everything to the bit bucket.

> You can cause the printer to capture a specific port in the "Ports"
> tab of the printer settings (Start->Settings->Printers and Faxes, then
> right-click on the printer name and select Properties).
>
> Failing that, there's a nice program called PrFile32 (look for it on
> the net).  You can set it up to be your lpr replacement with the
> following settings:
>
>  (setq lpr-command "C:/Program Files/PrintFile/prfile32.exe")
>  (setq lpr-switches '("/q"))

Thanks for this one. I downloaded the 32 bit version but haven't played
around with it yet.

> (If your printer supports Postscript, you can add 2 similar settings
> for ps-print.)
>
> > (setq ps-lpr-command "C:\\Program
Files\\Ghostgum\\gsview\\gsprint.exe")
> > (setq ps-printer-name t)
> >
> > I can print ordinary files with this setup but if the files contain
any
> > characters outside of the Latin-1 range then a popup dialogue
appears
> > with: "Font for some characters not found..." when I run Postscript
> > print buffer.
>
> That's a different problem: you need to install BDF fonts and set up
> ps-print to use them.  See the large commentary in the file ps-mule.el
> for more details.

I think the font problem is the main one. For now I use only .ttf and
.otf fonts in the \windows\fonts directory. Can w32 emacs use both
types? I am assuming that I can't put the BDF ones in the same directory
with the .tty ones. Do you happen to know what combination of fonts
cover approximately the same range of glyphs as MS's- arialuni.ttf (file
size 24 Megs +/-) ?
Anyway I am going to try to start learning emacs on Linux instead (or in
addition). I'm going to try to install Fedora Core 4 on another machine
and see if things make more sense there.

Thanks,

Ed.

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
@ 2005-11-10  4:25         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-11-10  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:10:01 GMT
>
> > > with: "Font for some characters not found..." when I run Postscript
> > > print buffer.
> >
> > That's a different problem: you need to install BDF fonts and set up
> > ps-print to use them.  See the large commentary in the file ps-mule.el
> > for more details.
>
> I think the font problem is the main one. For now I use only .ttf and
> .otf fonts in the \windows\fonts directory. Can w32 emacs use both
> types?

I don't think so.

> I am assuming that I can't put the BDF ones in the same directory
> with the .tty ones.

You need to tell Emacs where the BDF fonts are, otherwise, it's
unimportant where you put them.

> Do you happen to know what combination of fonts
> cover approximately the same range of glyphs as MS's- arialuni.ttf (file
> size 24 Megs +/-) ?

No clue, sorry.  I simply installed BDF fonts from GNU intlfonts for
any script I needed to ps-print.

* Re: printing from w32 emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.14313.1131394933.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-10  5:21 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-11-10  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

B. T. Raven wrote:
> Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
> printer? My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
> from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default) or
> LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
> minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
> function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
> I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

I've still got a Windows 98 machine sitting around so I tried what I've
got on my XP machines and it seems to work fine on '98.

>From [start][settings][printers], right click on the printer you want
print to and pick {properties}.  Go to the {sharing} tab.  Check the
{share as} button and fill in a Share Name like   Cannon  .

If you don't know your computer's network name, get it from the
{identification} tab in the [start][settings][Control panel][network]
dialog.  If you don't have one, set one .. like My-PC or whatever.

Now in your .emacs add this:

(setq printer-name "\\\\My-PC\\Cannon")
(setq ps-printer-name "\\\\My-PC\\Cannon")

Simply using M-x print-buffer <ret> should print the current buffer
and ps-print-buffer should work as well.