all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Debugging in SLIME
@ 2007-06-05 16:18 Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2007-06-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I asked this in lisp.slime.devel, but I afraid I won't get answer
there, so I ask it here again. Hopefully you can answer too.

Is it possible to run my Common Lisp code step by step "inside Emacs"
(SLIME)? I would like to have something similar for CL what we have
for elisp: when I compile elisp code with C-u C-M-x (eval-defun,
instrumenting for Edebug) and then call it. Then I can "debug" it step
by step.

I saw "debugging" in SLIME means something different (="real
debugging" not including simple "step by step, interactive interpreted
running").

I would like to see the simbols' values during/after the evaluation of
each expression. This way, I hope, I could learn and understand what
happen in cases what are difficult for me now to understand.

I use EmacsW32 (patched, built from v22 CVS) and CLISP.

When I try (step (...)) and :s etc., I don't see what expression is
beeing evaluated. (Maybe it could be "asked" somehow?)

When I use (break) and try v(iew source) I get "Cannot find source for
frame: #<ADDRESS #x0127137C> NIL #<ADDRESS #x01271660>". Maybe the
program versions I use not compatible?

* Re: Debugging in SLIME
@ 2007-06-05 18:42 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-06-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to run my Common Lisp code step by step "inside Emacs"
> (SLIME)? I would like to have something similar for CL what we have
> for elisp: when I compile elisp code with C-u C-M-x (eval-defun,
> instrumenting for Edebug) and then call it. Then I can "debug" it step
> by step.

There was some effort put into a source-level debugger/stepper for
SLIME, but I guess it was abandoned. You can find old patches in the
slime-devel archives.