all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GDB under emacs can't deal with source code frame
@ 2009-03-06  9:28 xf.lotus
       [not found] ` <mailman.2532.1236355295.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: xf.lotus @ 2009-03-06  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

    I try to use gdb under emacs to debug source code. According to
the manual, after starting gdb under emacs, there should be a arrow in
the left fringe indicating the current executing line. But, in my
experience, this is not the case. Although the source frame appear,
there is not the arrow at all. The environment: winxp + emacs-22.3-
win, and the varibles gdb-many-windows and gdb-show-main are non-nil.

Any suggestion?

* Re: GDB under emacs can't deal with source code frame
@ 2009-03-06 16:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2532.1236355295.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: xf.lotus@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:28:50 -0800 (PST)
>
>     I try to use gdb under emacs to debug source code. According to
> the manual, after starting gdb under emacs, there should be a arrow in
> the left fringe indicating the current executing line. But, in my
> experience, this is not the case. Although the source frame appear,
> there is not the arrow at all. The environment: winxp + emacs-22.3-
> win, and the varibles gdb-many-windows and gdb-show-main are non-nil.

Where did you get the ported GDB?  Is it by chance the Cygwin port of
GDB?

@ 2009-03-07  1:06   ` xf.lotus
From: xf.lotus @ 2009-03-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 7, 12:01 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: xf.lo...@gmail.com
> > Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:28:50 -0800 (PST)
>
> >     I try to use gdb under emacs to debug source code. According to
> > the manual, after starting gdb under emacs, there should be a arrow in
> > the left fringe indicating the current executing line. But, in my
> > experience, this is not the case. Although the source frame appear,
> > there is not the arrow at all. The environment: winxp + emacs-22.3-
> > win, and the varibles gdb-many-windows and gdb-show-main are non-nil.
>
> Where did you get the ported GDB?  Is it by chance the Cygwin port of
> GDB?

yes. The environment variable 'HOME' is set to point to Cygwin's bin
directory. What's the problem of it?

* Re: GDB under emacs can't deal with source code frame
@ 2009-03-07  6:34     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-03-07  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xf.lotus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Where did you get the ported GDB?  Is it by chance the Cygwin port of
 > > GDB?
 >
 > yes. The environment variable 'HOME' is set to point to Cygwin's bin
 > directory. What's the problem of it?

I think Gdb and Emacs have a different expectation for the pathname syntax.
There are some suggestions in gdb-ui.el:

;; If you are using Cygwin GDB and find that the source is not being displayed
;; in Emacs when you step through it, possible solutions are to:

;;   1) Use Cygwin X Windows and Cygwin Emacs.
;;        (Since 22.1 Emacs builds under Cygwin.)
;;   2) Use MinGW GDB instead.
;;   3) Use cygwin-mount.el

* Re: GDB under emacs can't deal with source code frame
@ 2009-03-07 10:20       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-07 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:34:00 +1300
> From: nickrob@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > > Where did you get the ported GDB?  Is it by chance the Cygwin port of
>  > > GDB?
>  >
>  > yes. The environment variable 'HOME' is set to point to Cygwin's bin
>  > directory. What's the problem of it?
>
> I think Gdb and Emacs have a different expectation for the pathname syntax.
> There are some suggestions in gdb-ui.el:
>
> ;; If you are using Cygwin GDB and find that the source is not being displayed
> ;; in Emacs when you step through it, possible solutions are to:
>
> ;;   1) Use Cygwin X Windows and Cygwin Emacs.
> ;;        (Since 22.1 Emacs builds under Cygwin.)
> ;;   2) Use MinGW GDB instead.
> ;;   3) Use cygwin-mount.el

There could also be an incompatibility between a native Windows build
of Emacs and Cygwin GDB wrt I/O, since the way used by Emacs to invoke
a subsidiary GDB might be incompatible with Cygwin pipe and console
I/O expectations.  Therefore, 1) and 2) above are recommended in
preference to 3).