all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: problem visiting .emacs
@ 2006-04-06  3:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.111.1144294710.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-04-06  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:39:06 -0700
>
> 1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory instead.

If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.

> 2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.

Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
You need to solve that problem first.

* problem visiting .emacs
@ 2006-04-06 19:39 Gary Weselle
       [not found] ` <mailman.111.1144294710.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary Weselle @ 2006-04-06 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am using emacs under windos 2000, my HOME variable value is set to where
my .emacs file is. C:\path-to-dir
when I C-x C-f to visit it, the mini-buffer says Find file:
C:\emacs-21.3\bin/ then I type in my path-to-file for .emacs, it then shows
Searching for programe: no such file or directeory, aspell
however I have the below line commneted out in my .emacs file
;(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
how can I fix these problems,
1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory instead.
2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.

thanks

* Re: problem visiting .emacs
       [not found] ` <mailman.111.1144294710.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-08  3:36   ` Gary Weselle
From: Gary Weselle @ 2006-04-08  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > From: "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:39:06 -0700
> >
> > 1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory
instead.

> If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
> directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.
>
> > 2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.
>
> Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
> about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
> which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
> You need to solve that problem first.

the only other reference to spell in my .emacs is
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode t) ; check spelling

now how could I solve the problem with the speller starting for Lisp files.
I really don't know how can it be since the same .emacs file is being used
for my Linux box and works fine. this problem happened after I installed
aspell under cygwin. does this help.
thanks

* Re: problem visiting .emacs
@ 2006-04-09 21:23     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-04-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Weselle wrote:
> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
>
>>>From: "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
>>>Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:39:06 -0700
>>>
>>>1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory
>
> instead.
>
>>If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
>>directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.
>>

>>>2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.
>>
>>Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
>>about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
>>which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
>>You need to solve that problem first.
>>

> the only other reference to spell in my .emacs is
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode t) ; check spelling
>
> now how could I solve the problem with the speller starting for Lisp files.
> I really don't know how can it be since the same .emacs file is being used
> for my Linux box and works fine. this problem happened after I installed
> aspell under cygwin. does this help.
> thanks

Is the word "Fly" in the mode-line for .emacs?
If so, flyspell-mode is enabled.
This will cause emacs to start the program defined in
ispell-program-name when you load .emacs, and if it fails to
start, emacs tries to restart it for every edit.

ispell-program-name defaults to "ispell" but can also be changed to "aspell"
or other compatible program.
To disable or enable flyspell for this buffer use M-x flyspell-mode

IIRC, most programming modes are derived from text-mode, and so may inherit
the mode-hooks.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: problem visiting .emacs
@ 2006-04-11  2:20       ` Gary Weselle
From: Gary Weselle @ 2006-04-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Gary Weselle wrote:
> > "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message

> > instead.
> >
> >>If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
> >>directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.

> >>Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
> >>about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
> >>which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
> >>You need to solve that problem first.
> >>

> > the only other reference to spell in my .emacs is
> > (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode t) ; check spelling
> >
> > now how could I solve the problem with the speller starting for Lisp
files.
> > I really don't know how can it be since the same .emacs file is being
used
> > for my Linux box and works fine. this problem happened after I installed
> > aspell under cygwin. does this help.
> > thanks
> >

> Is the word "Fly" in the mode-line for .emacs?

No.

> If so, flyspell-mode is enabled.
> This will cause emacs to start the program defined in
> ispell-program-name when you load .emacs, and if it fails to
> start, emacs tries to restart it for every edit.
>
> ispell-program-name defaults to "ispell" but can also be changed to
"aspell"
> or other compatible program.
> To disable or enable flyspell for this buffer use M-x flyspell-mode

doing M-x flyspell-mode gives
Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell