all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Profiling Emacs on M$
@ 2008-05-21  4:54 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-05-21  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hello,
 Now that I have a working MSVC build on M$, I started with profiling
the code using Kernrate (a sampling based non-intrusive profiler by
M$). I am attaching the results for a very basic start, opening a
couple of emacs source files (font.c, files.el) and closing the emacs
session.
 The reason I am sending this is not aimed at the results but to
convey that I have an environment where I can perform easy profiling.
Do let me know if there are specific scenarios that need to be
profiled to find hot spots.

For anyone interested:
1. Download Krview from M$ site and install it (on XP/2K)
2. Make sure you run the appropriate kernrate for the arch and os type
(no 64bit support yet)

$ Kernrate_i386_XP.exe -a -j
C:\users\dhruva\stub\repo\git\emacs\src\obj-spd\i386 -z emacs.exe -wx
10  -yr emacs.kv -o emacs.exe

The generated file emacs.kv can be opened in an excel file (part of
krview) which has a bunch of VB macros that creates an excel report.

-dky

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!