all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* quitting a completion
@ 2004-01-13  8:47 Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-01-13  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose i hit C-h v and then insert "gnus-" and then hit TAB then the window
gets splitted (if only one window in current frame) and a *Completion*-buffer
is offered - well. If i then hit C-g (`keyboard-quit') then the
*Completion*-buffer and the newly created window go away - well too.

Now my question: Which function is called by Emacs or which mechanism deletes
this newly created window when quitting such a completion?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: quitting a completion
@ 2004-01-13  9:07 ` Abi
From: Abi @ 2004-01-13  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de> writes:

> Now my question: Which function is called by Emacs or which mechanism deletes
> this newly created window when quitting such a completion?

I'd be glad if someone could tell me too how to close these 'pop-up
frames'.  They are pretty much annoying when they refuse to leave...
(using emacs version 21.2.1)

abi

* Re: quitting a completion
@ 2004-01-13 15:21   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-01-13 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Abi <abi_kREMSPAM@myrealbox.com> writes:

> I'd be glad if someone could tell me too how to close these 'pop-up
> frames'.

I guess you mean `windows'.

C-x 0 delete-window
C-x 1 delete-other-windows

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: quitting a completion
@ 2004-01-13 20:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Klaus Berndl <klaus.berndl@sdm.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 13 Jan 2004 09:47:14 +0100
>
> Suppose i hit C-h v and then insert "gnus-" and then hit TAB then the window
> gets splitted (if only one window in current frame) and a *Completion*-buffer
> is offered - well. If i then hit C-g (`keyboard-quit') then the
> *Completion*-buffer and the newly created window go away - well too.
>
> Now my question: Which function is called by Emacs or which mechanism deletes
> this newly created window when quitting such a completion?

The key to finding out the answer to this is to realize that TAB
during completion calls `minibuffer-complete', and the *Completion*
buffer is displayed by `minibuffer-completion-help'.  Both are
built-in functions, written in C.

What they do is call an equivalent of `with-output-to-temp-buffer',
which pops up a temporary buffer and takes care of restoring the
window configuration if you type C-g (or in case of any other exit
from completion).