all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* alternatives to dired
@ 2002-10-03  4:07 ftrw
From: ftrw @ 2002-10-03  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Is there a similar package to dired that allows one to not display
permissions, owner and group in the directory listing?  Or is this
possible in dired?  It seems like the dired switches must have 'l' to
display the full long format.

Thanks,
Ryan

* Re: alternatives to dired
@ 2002-10-03  5:04 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2002-10-03  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

 ftrw> Is there a similar package to dired that allows one to not
 ftrw> display permissions, owner and group in the directory
 ftrw> listing? Or is this possible in dired? It seems like the
 ftrw> dired switches must have 'l' to display the full long
 ftrw> format.

You could try monkey:

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnu-emacs-sources/2002-July/001237.html

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

* RE: alternatives to dired
@ 2002-10-04  9:08 Victor Kirk
From: Victor Kirk @ 2002-10-04  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there a similar package to dired that allows one to not display
> permissions, owner and group in the directory listing?  Or is this
> possible in dired?  It seems like the dired switches must have 'l' to
> display the full long format.

To surpress the group you can add a 'G' to the end of
dired-listing-switches.

I would be nice if we could specify the program to use other than ls,
then you could filter the output from ls.

Vic
--
This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is

* RE: alternatives to dired
@ 2002-10-04 14:03 ` ken
From: ken @ 2002-10-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

When in emacs I do "C-h f dired", emacs says:

dired is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `dired'.

"Edit" directory DIRNAME--delete, rename, print, etc. some files in it.
Optional second argument SWITCHES specifies the `ls' options used.
(Interactively, use a prefix argument to be able to specify SWITCHES.)
[....]

Sounds like it might be helpful.

ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Victor Kirk at 10:08 (UTC+0100) on Fri, 4 Oct 2002:

=
= To surpress the group you can add a 'G' to the end of
= dired-listing-switches.
=
= I would be nice if we could specify the program to use other than ls,
= then you could filter the output from ls.
=
= Vic
= --
= This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
= person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
= privileged and confidential. Copying or use by anybody else is not
= authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
= as soon as possible. The views expressed in this communication may not
= necessarily be the views held by Serco Integrated Transport.
=
=
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* RE: alternatives to dired
       [not found] <mailman.1033740246.31504.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-05  3:16 ` Chris
From: Chris @ 2002-10-05  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 04 Oct 2002, ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> spake thusly:

> When in emacs I do "C-h f dired", emacs says:
>
> dired is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `dired'.
>
> "Edit" directory DIRNAME--delete, rename, print, etc. some files in it.
> Optional second argument SWITCHES specifies the `ls' options used.
> (Interactively, use a prefix argument to be able to specify SWITCHES.)

You can also set the switches for a long and short (gotten to by C-x C-d)
listing. The problem is, unless there is a -l switch present, dired doesn't
function.