all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unicode path displays wrong in minibuffer
@ 2007-05-28 19:21 mopi
From: mopi @ 2007-05-28 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It seems that some characters are displayed wrong in the minibuffer
when I save a file.

In *Messages* buffer it displays correctly as:
Wrote d:/- Johans/träning/2007.txt

But in minibuffer the ä-character gets escaped:
Wrote d:/- Johans/tr\344ning/2007.txt

I'm running GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 on Win XP using Swedish keymap. I have
tried both

(setq file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)
(setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

as well as supplying nothing. All give the wrong display. I have not
touched the variable default-file-name-coding-system and it's value is
iso-latin-1-dos if that is relevant.

Is there a solution or should I file a bug report somewhere?
Thanks in advance.

* Re: unicode path displays wrong in minibuffer
@ 2007-05-28 19:44 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1363.1180381472.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-28 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mopi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mopi wrote:
> It seems that some characters are displayed wrong in the minibuffer
> when I save a file.
>
> In *Messages* buffer it displays correctly as:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/träning/2007.txt
>
> But in minibuffer the ä-character gets escaped:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/tr\344ning/2007.txt
>
> I'm running GNU Emacs 22.0.99.1 on Win XP using Swedish keymap. I have
> tried both
>
> (setq file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)
> (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> as well as supplying nothing. All give the wrong display. I have not
> touched the variable default-file-name-coding-system and it's value is
> iso-latin-1-dos if that is relevant.
>
> Is there a solution or should I file a bug report somewhere?
> Thanks in advance.

Please send a bug report. From the menus choose

    Help - Send Bug Report ...

and then follow the instructions there.

@ 2007-05-28 19:57   ` mopi
From: mopi @ 2007-05-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Reported.

Thanks.

@ 2007-05-28 20:40 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: mopi <52hands@gmail.com>
> Date: 28 May 2007 12:21:14 -0700
>

> It seems that some characters are displayed wrong in the minibuffer
> when I save a file.
>
> In *Messages* buffer it displays correctly as:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/träning/2007.txt
>
> But in minibuffer the ä-character gets escaped:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/tr\344ning/2007.txt

I cannot reproduce this on my XP machine (with a different encoding of
non-ASCII characters, as I'm not in a 8859-15 locale).

Could you please try this in a fresh "emacs -Q", after you set
file-name-coding-system to iso-8859-15?

> (setq file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)
> (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

Just wondering: why did you try UTF-8? \344 is clearly not a UTF-8
encoding.

* Re: unicode path displays wrong in minibuffer
       [not found] <mailman.1369.1180384837.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-29  7:09 ` mopi
From: mopi @ 2007-05-29  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Discussion continued at help-emacs-windows at gnu dot org since it
seems windows specific.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2007-05/msg00047.html