all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell and emacs
@ 2003-05-22  2:57 Alexander Nikolov
From: Alexander Nikolov @ 2003-05-22  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed a Bulgarian dictionary for ispell and tried to make it
work under emacs too, but it is acting somewhat strange. What I added
in my .emacs file was:
;;ispell Bulgarian
(load-library "ispell")
(setq ispell-dictionary-alist
      (cons
        '("bulgarian""[A-Za-z\192-\255]""[^A-Za-z\192-\255]"""nil("-d" "bulgarian")nil cp1251)
	ispell-dictionary-alist))

Sometimes it seems to work nice and sometimes it doesn't(which is the
more frequent case). If I don't put a string of latin letters in the
beginning of the buffer, ispell reports that the spell-check is
finished (without reporting errors), no matter what terrible mistakes
I've made. Actually I even think that things work correctly only when
I put a number of latin letters in front of each misspelled word- then
both the word and the latin string are reported as incorrect.
Suggestions?
ps Ispell is working correctly with '-d bulgarian' when started from
the command line.

* Re: ispell and emacs
@ 2003-05-22  6:17 ` Sergei Pokrovsky
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2003-05-22  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

  AN> I installed a Bulgarian dictionary for ispell and tried to make it
  AN> work under emacs too, but it is acting somewhat strange. What I added
  AN> in my .emacs file was:
  AN> ;;ispell Bulgarian
  AN> (load-library "ispell")
  AN> (setq ispell-dictionary-alist
  AN>       (cons
  AN>         '("bulgarian"
  AN>           "[A-Za-z\192-\255]" "[^A-Za-z\192-\255]"

Why do you send Latin letters to a Bulgarian dictionary?  If you remove
the "A-Za-z" part, your spellcheck should work faster and better
(unless you have an integrated Bulgarian-English dictionary).
Besides, "192" seems to be a strange octal number, I'd expect

           "[\300-\377]" "[^\300-\377]"

[...]

  AN> Sometimes it seems to work nice and sometimes it doesn't(which is the
  AN> more frequent case). If I don't put a string of latin letters in the
  AN> beginning of the buffer, ispell reports that the spell-check is
  AN> finished (without reporting errors), no matter what terrible mistakes
  AN> I've made.

So your ispell is not checking Bulgarian, it checks English.  Did you
set the Bulgarian dictionary?  Something like

(ispell-change-dictionary "bulgarian")

You may wish to define some shortcuts, e.g.

(global-set-key "\C-cia"
                (lambda () "set English dictionary"
                  (interactive)
                  (ispell-change-dictionary "english")
                  (setq diction-ruleset "en")
))
(global-set-key "\C-cip"
                (lambda () "set Russian dictionary"
                  (interactive)
                  (ispell-change-dictionary "russian")
))

(global-set-key "\C-cib" 'ispell-buffer)
(global-set-key "\C-cic" 'ispell-change-dictionary)
(global-set-key "\C-cim" 'ispell-message)
(global-set-key "\C-cir" 'ispell-region)
(global-set-key "\C-ciw" 'ispell-complete-word)

--
Sergei

* Re: ispell and emacs
@ 2003-05-22 12:30   ` Alexander Nikolov
From: Alexander Nikolov @ 2003-05-22 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sergei Pokrovsky <pok@none.nowhere.invalid> writes:

>   AN> I installed a Bulgarian dictionary for ispell and tried to make it
>   AN> work under emacs too, but it is acting somewhat strange. What I added
>   AN> in my .emacs file was:
>   AN> ;;ispell Bulgarian
>   AN> (load-library "ispell")
>   AN> (setq ispell-dictionary-alist
>   AN>       (cons
>   AN>         '("bulgarian"
>   AN>           "[A-Za-z\192-\255]" "[^A-Za-z\192-\255]"
>
> Why do you send Latin letters to a Bulgarian dictionary?  If you remove
> the "A-Za-z" part, your spellcheck should work faster and better
> (unless you have an integrated Bulgarian-English dictionary).
> Besides, "192" seems to be a strange octal number, I'd expect
>
>            "[\300-\377]" "[^\300-\377]"
i knew it couldn't be plain decimal numbers ;)

> [...]
>
>   AN> Sometimes it seems to work nice and sometimes it doesn't(which is the
>   AN> more frequent case). If I don't put a string of latin letters in the
>   AN> beginning of the buffer, ispell reports that the spell-check is
>   AN> finished (without reporting errors), no matter what terrible mistakes
>   AN> I've made.
>
> So your ispell is not checking Bulgarian, it checks English.  Did you
> set the Bulgarian dictionary?  Something like
>
> (ispell-change-dictionary "bulgarian")
I got that one right- I did change the dictionary. ispell was checking
Bulgarian but only when it was interspersed with some English
letters. Now with the right characters set it seems to work just fine,
so thank you indeed.
> You may wish to define some shortcuts, e.g.

Sounds quite useful.
> (global-set-key "\C-cia"
>                 (lambda () "set English dictionary"
>                   (interactive)
>                   (ispell-change-dictionary "english")
>                   (setq diction-ruleset "en")
> ))
> (global-set-key "\C-cip"
>                 (lambda () "set Russian dictionary"
>                   (interactive)
>                   (ispell-change-dictionary "russian")
> ))
>
> (global-set-key "\C-cib" 'ispell-buffer)
> (global-set-key "\C-cic" 'ispell-change-dictionary)
> (global-set-key "\C-cim" 'ispell-message)
> (global-set-key "\C-cir" 'ispell-region)
> (global-set-key "\C-ciw" 'ispell-complete-word)
>

> --
> Sergei

Thank you again, It's always nice to get some help from a Russian. :o

* Ispell and emacs
@ 2007-11-10  0:57 vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-10  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What is the story about compatibility between versions of
emacs and ispell? On XP, W98, and pure DOS 6.22.

BTW, why do DOS programs (including emacs) look like a movie
theater screen (fully wide but not tall) on w98?
Is there a way around this?

				    - = -
	   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---
 [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

* Re: Ispell and emacs
@ 2007-11-10 11:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-10 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:57:01 +0000 (UTC)
>
> What is the story about compatibility between versions of
> emacs and ispell? On XP, W98, and pure DOS 6.22.

It's quite hard to understand what are you asking.  If you ask about
using a Windows port of Emacs with a DOS port of Ispell, or the other
way around, then it's almost certain that they will be incompatible,
due to different compilation options.

If you ask about the same binaries of Emacs and Ispell on different
versions of Windows, then I would not expect any problems.

> BTW, why do DOS programs (including emacs) look like a movie
> theater screen (fully wide but not tall) on w98?
> Is there a way around this?

I think you need to modify the properties of emacs.exe to set
non-default window size.  By default, it is reset to 25 lines.

* Re: Ispell and emacs
@ 2007-11-12 10:17 ` vjp2.at
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3376.1194901930.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-12 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok, I mixed too many questions.

On a 75MHz machine in DOS I have emacs 19.34 and ispell 4.
I seem to recall being told back them ispell 3 would not work
or was it Ispell 4 with my version of emacs.

Now, the main question was about a new 64bit machine, and I will
supply versions in a short while.

THe dos under w98 screen size was a third question.

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-12 10:31 ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-12 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A much more fundamental (machine independent) question: assuming
everything is installed correctly, do I need to tell emacs where ispell is?
After moving ispell.el into /lisp, do I need to edit the el file
to do this?

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-12 19:11   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vjp2.at; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.11.2007 um 11:31 schrieb vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com:

> A much more fundamental (machine independent) question: assuming
> everything is installed correctly, do I need to tell emacs where
> ispell is?
> After moving ispell.el into /lisp, do I need to edit the el file
> to do this?

Why don't you check and correct all ispell related variable values? C-
h v ispell- TAB TAB C-g and then change to *Completions* buffer
without actually starting any completion action. Best rename and save
it to prevent its destruction when doing some other completion.

There is also the info hypertext system. It will explain what one can
or must do with ispell.

--
Greetings

   Pete

What’s the difference between OS X and Vista?

Microsoft employees are excited about OS X…

* Re: Ispell and emacs
@ 2007-11-12 21:11   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3376.1194901930.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-12 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:17:26 +0000 (UTC)
>
> On a 75MHz machine in DOS I have emacs 19.34 and ispell 4.
> I seem to recall being told back them ispell 3 would not work
> or was it Ispell 4 with my version of emacs.

It's neither.  I think you are talking about the obsolete ispell4.el
file, not Ispell version 4 (which does not exist).  Just don't use
ispell4.el; use ispell.el instead.

* Re: Ispell and emacs
@ 2007-11-12 21:13   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-12 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:31:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
> A much more fundamental (machine independent) question: assuming
> everything is installed correctly, do I need to tell emacs where ispell is?

Ispell should be on PATH somewhere, that's all.

> After moving ispell.el into /lisp, do I need to edit the el file
> to do this?

You don't, but I don't recommend moving ispell.el into lisp/, since
there should already be such a file there.  I suggest to use ispell.el
that came with Emacs, because you might have compatibility problems
(between ispell.el and the rest of Emacs) otherwise.

* Re: Ispell and emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3376.1194901930.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-12 22:53     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-11-12 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
>> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:17:26 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> On a 75MHz machine in DOS I have emacs 19.34 and ispell 4.
>> I seem to recall being told back them ispell 3 would not work
>> or was it Ispell 4 with my version of emacs.
>
> It's neither.  I think you are talking about the obsolete ispell4.el
> file, not Ispell version 4 (which does not exist).

If I remember correctly, Ispell version 4 does exist, but it is missing
essential capabilities from the current Ispell 3 version.  So its gotten
out of use.

* Re: Ispell and emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-11-13  3:37 ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-13  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On XP emacs is 22.1 and Ispell 3.1.20 by luziusschneider.com
in programfiles\commonfiles\isepll

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-13  4:14   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-13  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 03:37:38 +0000 (UTC)
>
> On XP emacs is 22.1 and Ispell 3.1.20 by luziusschneider.com
> in programfiles\commonfiles\isepll

Should work fine, AFAIK.  Just make sure that ispell.exe lives
somewhere on your PATH, where Emacs can find it.

* Re: Ispell and emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3376.1194901930.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-14  3:01     ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-14  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I got ispell-3120.zip from an old GNU CD and put it in the DOS machine
(in dos\gnu\bin\ which is in my path). I ran ispell on its own and
it complained about englishx.hash.

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-14  3:02       ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-14  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I finally figured this out after like a dozen years.
The XP ispell I installed is also 3.1.20. They also hawk an "aspell."

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-14  3:03   ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2007-11-14  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to thank all for replies.

				    - = -

@ 2007-11-14  4:10       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-14  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 03:01:31 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I got ispell-3120.zip from an old GNU CD and put it in the DOS machine
> (in dos\gnu\bin\ which is in my path). I ran ispell on its own and
> it complained about englishx.hash.

Was there englishx.hash in the zip file?