all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: quoting with gnus
       [not found] <ambtmi$aai@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
@ 2002-09-19  7:47 ` Torsten Müller
From: Torsten Müller @ 2002-09-19  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Rump <norbert.rump@gmx.de> writes:

> My question: how can I do this? When writing a follow-up, I use C-x
> C-y to quote the article.

Why? If I want to write a follow-up I press just F and I get a new
buffer containing the original text in a just right quoted form. This
means with a single "> ". Without any prompt.

Torsten

@ 2002-09-19  8:03 ` Klaus Berndl
       [not found]   ` <amc1ja$c0n@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-19  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Sep 2002, Norbert Rump wrote:

>  Hi folks,
>
>  after 10+ years in usenet I recently got complaints about my quoting
>  mechanism. I usually quote with two initials and the usual ">"
>  sign. The two initials seem to be quite unpopular, so I want to get
>  rid of them.
>
>  My question: how can I do this? When writing a follow-up, I use C-x
>  C-y to quote the article. Then I get a prompt "Complete attribution
>  name: <user name>". An empty user name will not be accepted. I guess
>  there has to be some other way just to get the ">"-sign as quotation
>  mark.

My recommendation: If you want quote correct and if you want not to bother how
to this and if you want have this all automatically after pressing F in Gnus
then use tc.el (Trivial cite). Despite of it's name it is really not trivial
but it does an outstanding job; the "trivial" means it does only the necessry
citing job and it does this constistent with the standards and nothing more.
Note so many features like supercite for example but the really citing job is
done much better.

Try it in combination with filladapt.el and your citing problems are gone.

You can get it from http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause/tc.html

Ciao,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

@ 2002-09-19  8:56 ` Alexander Koptelov
From: Alexander Koptelov @ 2002-09-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

The name of all your troubles is _super cite_.

I think that setting `message-cite-function' to `message-cite-original' will do
what you want =)

--
Alexander Koptelov
Institute for System Programming, Russian Academy of Sciences

* Re: quoting with gnus
       [not found]   ` <amc1ja$c0n@news.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
@ 2002-09-19  9:11     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-19  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Sep 2002, Norbert Rump wrote:

>  On 19 Sep 2002, Klaus.Berndl@raibau.raiffeisen.at wrote:
>
> > My recommendation: If you want quote correct and if you want not to
> > bother how to this and if you want have this all automatically after
> > pressing F in Gnus then use tc.el (Trivial cite).
>
>  Thanx. I've used it for this follow-up and it looks the way you see it
>  now. ;-)

Yes, and IMHO it looks very nice and exacly how it should look like ;-)

> > Note so many
> > features like supercite for example but the really citing job is
> > done much better.
>
>  Well, supercite is what I used before. I guess it is possible to quote
>  with supercite without using initials?

Yes, it is possible but i have not in mind the option...but nevertheless the
citing-job is done much better by tc than by supercite!

Klaus

--

@ 2002-09-20 14:14     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Rump <norbert.rump@gmx.de> writes:

> Well, supercite is what I used before. I guess it is possible to quote
> with supercite without using initials?

See variable sc-nested-citations-p or similar.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)