all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SMTP transaction failure
@ 2004-01-04  7:53 David Vanderschel
From: David Vanderschel @ 2004-01-04  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can no longer send email from emacs.  This had been
working for years.  Any insight that might lead to a
restoration of function would be appreciated.  I am
running 20.7 on Windows 98.  See backtrace and
SMTP session buffer appended below.

Things I changed recently:  (These are
probably red herrings.)  I installed a simple
D-Link broadband router.  (However, I have
successfully sent email from emacs on several days
since the router was put in the path.)  I installed McAfee
VirusScan 8.0.  (However, even when I disable it from
starting at startup, I still cannot send email from
emacs.)

I can send email using OE 6.0 with no problem.  I
suspect that my ISP has made some change in the
behaviour of its SMTP servers which has somehow
confounded emacs.

Thanks for any pointers,
  David V.

Backtrace:

Signaling: (error "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
  signal(error ("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error"))
  error("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
  smtpmail-send-it()
  message-send-mail(nil)
  message-send-via-mail(nil)
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

SMTP session buffer:

220 ms-smtp-03-eri0.texas.rr.com ESMTP Welcome to Road Runner.  WARNING: *** FOR
AUTHORIZED USE ONLY! ***
EHLO UNKNOWN
250-ms-smtp-03-eri0.texas.rr.com Hello cs679154-172.austin.rr.com
[67.9.154.172], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 20971520
250-ETRN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
MAIL FROM: <DJV4@Austin.RR.com> SIZE=215
250 2.1.0 <DJV4@Austin.RR.com>... Sender ok
RCPT TO: <DJV4@austin.rr.com>
250 2.1.5 <DJV4@austin.rr.com>... Recipient ok
DATA
354
.
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "To: DJV4@austin.rr.com"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "Subject: test"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "X-Mailer: ntemacs 20.7 on Windows 98"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "From: David Vanderschel <DJV4@Austin.RR.com>"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "Date: 04 Jan 2004 01:29:33 -0600"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "Message-ID: <wkad54i336.fsf@Austin.RR.com>"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "Lines: 0"
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: ""
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: ""
500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "."
QUIT
221 2.0.0 ms-smtp-03-eri0.texas.rr.com closing connection

* Re: SMTP transaction failure
@ 2004-01-04 14:02 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Vanderschel" <DJV4@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> MAIL FROM: <DJV4@Austin.RR.com> SIZE=215
> 250 2.1.0 <DJV4@Austin.RR.com>... Sender ok
> RCPT TO: <DJV4@austin.rr.com>
> 250 2.1.5 <DJV4@austin.rr.com>... Recipient ok
> DATA
> 354
> .
> 500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "To: DJV4@austin.rr.com"
> 500 5.5.1 Command unrecognized: "Subject: test"

The "354" line and the "." line after the DATA command look weird.
Normally, you should send "DATA", then the server replies with
something (maybe that's the 354), then you send the message, then you
send a dot (the "." line) to terminate the message.

But it seems in your case the message terminator was sent before the
message?

Kai

* Re: SMTP transaction failure
@ 2004-01-05  0:47   ` David Vanderschel
From: David Vanderschel @ 2004-01-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

My hint about McAfee (VirusScan 8.0) was not a red herring after all.  When I
thought I had turned it off, I had only turned off one irrelevant aspect.  When
I really prevent the McAfee stuff from running, emacs can send email OK.

But why does it foul up emacs and not OE?  Has anyone else seen this?

Regards,
  David V.

@ 2004-01-05  5:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-05  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "David Vanderschel" <DJV4@Austin.RR.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:47:33 -0600
>
> I really prevent the McAfee stuff from running, emacs can send email OK.
>
> But why does it foul up emacs and not OE?  Has anyone else seen this?

Perhaps M$ pays McAfee a fee to do that?..

Anyway, I'd look into McAfee's docs to find what options they have for
email (SMTP) connections snooping.  That's assuming this is your
problem; a good net sniffer program should tell.

* Re: SMTP transaction failure
@ 2004-01-09 15:37     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Vanderschel" <DJV4@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> But why does it foul up emacs and not OE?  Has anyone else seen this?

Is your OE talking to Exchange?  In that case, it will use MAPI, not
SMTP, for sending mail.

Kai