all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Configuring eager (ie. less-lazy) faces in psgml?
@ 2005-11-24 13:33 John J. Lee
From: John J. Lee @ 2005-11-24 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I find psgml's syntax colouring behaviour on my machine irritating: it
(or perhaps the emacs code it depends on) lazily colours documents,
and I don't understand the algorithm used to decide when to do the
work of colouring a region.  I frequently find myself with in a big
region of uncoloured text, with no means of requesting that it go
ahead and do the colouring work.

I want to configure psgml to be less lazy about colouring text, or at
least find some equivalent of font-lock-fontify-buffer to force
colouring of the entire buffer.  (I'm hazy about all this, but IIUC
psgml does not use font-lock, which explains why
font-lock-fontify-buffer doesn't work.)

Can anybody suggest any ways of doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help

John

* Re: Configuring eager (ie. less-lazy) faces in psgml?
@ 2005-11-24 16:41 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17373.1133376084.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-11-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs help

Am 24.11.2005 um 14:33 schrieb John J. Lee:

> (I'm hazy about all this, but IIUC
> psgml does not use font-lock, which explains why
> font-lock-fontify-buffer doesn't work.)
>
> Can anybody suggest any ways of doing that?

I have this:

(cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
    ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
    (setq global-font-lock-mode t)
;   (setq jit-lock-mode t)
    ;; Maximum colors
    (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))

The lazy mode is being discouraged AFAIR ... or was it jit-lock-mode?

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)

* Re: Configuring eager (ie. less-lazy) faces in psgml?
@ 2005-11-30 17:40   ` John J. Lee
       [not found]   ` <mailman.17373.1133376084.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John J. Lee @ 2005-11-30 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 24.11.2005 um 14:33 schrieb John J. Lee:
>
> > (I'm hazy about all this, but IIUC
> > psgml does not use font-lock, which explains why
> > font-lock-fontify-buffer doesn't work.)
> >
> > Can anybody suggest any ways of doing that?
>
> I have this:
>
> (cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
>     ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
>     (setq global-font-lock-mode t)
> ;   (setq jit-lock-mode t)
>     ;; Maximum colors
>     (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))
>
> The lazy mode is being discouraged AFAIR ... or was it jit-lock-mode?

I already have font-lock turned on globally, and maximum decoration turned on too.

Like I said, I *think* (I'm shamefully ignorant of how emacs actually
works, I just use it like black magic ;-) psgml does not use
font-lock, which would explain why that doesn't have the desired effect here.

@ 2005-12-01  5:01     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-01  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> ;; Maximum colors
>> (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

AFAIK this has always been the default value, so this setting has always
been completely useless.  Given this, I keep wondering why this setting
shows up so often on this newsgroup.

> Like I said, I *think* (I'm shamefully ignorant of how Emacs actually
> works, I just use it like black magic ;-) psgml does not use font-lock,
> which would explain why that doesn't have the desired effect here.

I believe you're right.

* Re: Configuring eager (ie. less-lazy) faces in psgml?
@ 2005-12-01 16:20       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-12-01 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> ;; Maximum colors
>>> (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
>
> AFAIK this has always been the default value

It was nil in Emacs 19.

--
Johan Bockgård