all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* navigate in C
@ 2006-10-26 13:54 Pedro Sa da Costa
From: Pedro Sa da Costa @ 2006-10-26 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

1 - Is there a way in C mode to, by selecting the .h file or a method
and press a shortcut key, go that file or function?

For example:

#include "header.h"

by pressing F3 in the selected "header.h", or simply have the cursor of
the header file, open the file.

and

int test(){
    call_test();

}

have the cursor above "call_test()" call and pressing F3, goes to the
function.

Thanks,
Pedro

* Re: navigate in C
       [not found] <mailman.266.1161870876.27805.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-10-26 15:29 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-10-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pedro Sa da Costa <op132650c@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

> 1 - Is there a way in C mode to, by selecting the .h file or a method
> and press a shortcut key, go that file or function?
>
> For example:
>
> #include "header.h"
>
> by pressing F3 in the selected "header.h", or simply have the cursor
> of the header file, open the file.

I haven't found anything that does this just yet (I'm sure it's
probably somewhere in emacs), and have been writing something like
this myself...

> int test(){
>    call_test();
>
> }
>
> have the cursor above "call_test()" call and pressing F3, goes to the
> function.

Check Info: Emacs: Tags.  A simple HOWTO on tags is:

1) Run 'etags *.c *.h' in the shell to create a TAGS file (better yet
put it in your Makefile so it's run when the source is updated; it's
fast so it can be run on every rebuild).  If you do this, add
(setq tags-revert-without-query 't) to your .emacs so you don't have
to type 'y' every time the tags file is updated.

2) Over the variable or function type M-. to go to it's definition.

3) M-* pop's (goes back to) where you were before.

Check the info manual for more options and advanced tags usage.
Another thing about tags is you can perform completion on them using
M-TAB (which you might have to rebind if your window manager steals
that for switching windows...C-TAB would work just as well)

Hope this helps.

--
burton samograd                                             kruhft .at. gmail
    generative a/v artwork : http://kruhft.boldlygoingnowhere.org

* Re: navigate in C
@ 2006-10-26 15:51 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-10-26 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h f ff-find-related-file RET ]

`----

> and
>
> int test(){
>    call_test();
>
> }
>
> have the cursor above "call_test()" call and pressing F3, goes to the
> function.

I think you need to create a tags table file, select it, then find the
call_test tag.  See the "Tags Tables" section of the Emacs manual.

--
Kevin

@ 2006-10-26 18:03 ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2006-10-26 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pedro Sa da Costa <op132650c@mail.telepac.pt> writes:

> 1 - Is there a way in C mode to, by selecting the .h file or a method and
> press a shortcut key, go that file or function?
>
> For example:
>
> #include "header.h"
>
> by pressing F3 in the selected "header.h", or simply have the cursor of
> the header file, open the file.

set ffap-c-path (to a list if directories) and use ffap AKA find-file-at-point

PS: add (require 'ffap) to your .emacs first
--
Vagn Johansen