all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Background color in terminal
@ 2007-05-08 18:48 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-08 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

It seems Emacs is assuming background types (dark or light) according to
terminal types.

Now I have one terminal screen-256color. Emacs thinks it is dark
background when it is actually light background. How can I correct this?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

* Re: Background color in terminal
@ 2007-05-08 19:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-08 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 19:48:29 +0100
>
> It seems Emacs is assuming background types (dark or light) according to
> terminal types.

Only on character (i.e. text-mode) terminals, since there's no
standard API to query them for their default background color.

> Now I have one terminal screen-256color. Emacs thinks it is dark
> background when it is actually light background. How can I correct this?

I think you want to customize the variable frame-background-mode,
which see.

* Re: Background color in terminal
@ 2007-05-09  0:22   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-09  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Eli,

>> It seems Emacs is assuming background types (dark or light) according
>> to terminal types.
>
> Only on character (i.e. text-mode) terminals, since there's no
> standard API to query them for their default background color.
>
>> Now I have one terminal screen-256color. Emacs thinks it is dark
>> background when it is actually light background. How can I correct
>> this?
>
> I think you want to customize the variable frame-background-mode,
> which see.

Can I make Emacs automatically examine the brightness?

@ 2007-05-09  3:11     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-05-09  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 01:22:39 +0100
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 19:48:29 +0100
> >>
> >> It seems Emacs is assuming background types (dark or light) according
> >> to terminal types.
> >
> > Only on character (i.e. text-mode) terminals, since there's no
> > standard API to query them for their default background color.
> >
> >> Now I have one terminal screen-256color. Emacs thinks it is dark
> >> background when it is actually light background. How can I correct
> >> this?
> >
> > I think you want to customize the variable frame-background-mode,
> > which see.
>
> Can I make Emacs automatically examine the brightness?

Like I said above: we don't know about any standard API to do that on
a tty.  If you do, please tell Emacs developers about such an API.