all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* X Resources?
@ 2005-05-13  7:01 Greg Novak
From: Greg Novak @ 2005-05-13  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

A long time ago I put the following two lines in my .Xresources file
to give Emacs a nicer color scheme (in my opinion).

! Set the modeline colors.
Emacs.modeline*attributeForeground:     Black
Emacs.modeline*attributeBackground:     AntiqueWhite1

Some time ago, maybe even years ago, they stopped working, and I just
now decided I'd try to figure out what was going on.  I used "editres"
to try to figure out what X resource I should be setting, thinking
that the name had changed.  However, I couldn't find anything that
looked like the right thing.

Is this even how this is done anymore?  I'm running Emacs 21.2 on OS X
10.4, built for X11 (obviously), not Carbon.

Thanks,
Greg

* Re: X Resources?
       [not found] <mailman.5003.1115967988.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-13  7:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-13  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> now decided I'd try to figure out what was going on.  I used "editres"
> to try to figure out what X resource I should be setting, thinking
> that the name had changed.  However, I couldn't find anything that
> looked like the right thing.

Rather than `editres', I'd suggest you try to browse the Emacs manual.
It has a section about Xresources.

* Re: X Resources?
@ 2005-05-13  8:35 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-13  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.05.2005 um 09:01 schrieb Greg Novak:

> ! Set the modeline colors.
> Emacs.modeline*attributeForeground:     Black
> Emacs.modeline*attributeBackground:     AntiqueWhite1

I had these before I went to customize the modeline:

!Emacs.modeline.attributeForeground:    Black
!Emacs.modeline.attributeBackground:    Grey
!Emacs.mode-line.attributeForeground: yellow
!Emacs.mode-line.attributeBackground: midnightblue

--
Greetings

   Pete

“One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone”
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)

@ 2005-05-13 17:33 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-05-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Novak <novak@dionysus.ucolick.org> writes:
> A long time ago I put the following two lines in my .Xresources file
> to give Emacs a nicer color scheme (in my opinion).
>
> ! Set the modeline colors.
> Emacs.modeline*attributeForeground:     Black
> Emacs.modeline*attributeBackground:     AntiqueWhite1
>
> Some time ago, maybe even years ago, they stopped working, and I just
> now decided I'd try to figure out what was going on.  I used "editres"
> to try to figure out what X resource I should be setting, thinking
> that the name had changed.  However, I couldn't find anything that
> looked like the right thing.
>
> Is this even how this is done anymore?  I'm running Emacs 21.2 on OS X
> 10.4, built for X11 (obviously), not Carbon.

I avoid using X resources whenever possible, as I try to share my
.emacs between Windows and Unix machines.  Here's a snippet:

(set-face-foreground 'modeline	   "navy")
(set-face-background 'modeline	   "lightblue1")

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: X Resources?
@ 2005-05-14  7:16   ` don provan
From: don provan @ 2005-05-14  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
> I avoid using X resources whenever possible, as I try to share my
> .emacs between Windows and Unix machines.

Funny you should mention that: I also share my .emacs between various
systems, which is exactly why I use X resources: I give emacs (as well
as other applications) different color schemes depending on where the
application is running to help me keep them straight. You can do that
in .emacs, of course, but the X resources on the source node is the
obvious place.

-don provan

* Re: X Resources?
@ 2005-05-16  5:51     ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-05-16  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

dp> kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
>> I avoid using X resources whenever possible, as I try to share my .emacs
>> between Windows and Unix machines.

dp> Funny you should mention that: I also share my .emacs between various
dp> systems, which is exactly why I use X resources: I give emacs (as well as
dp> other applications) different color schemes depending on where the
dp> application is running to help me keep them straight. You can do that in
dp> .emacs, of course, but the X resources on the source node is the obvious
dp> place.

This will worn on UNIX like OS's. Does this work on Windoze box (where there
is no concept of X)?
Maybe, you need a combination of the two.
I check the symbol to check if running under X: (boundp 'x-resource-name)
Since, even on MS-Windows, you could have a CYGWIN build using XFree86
server. I have not tried it on CYGWIN though.

-dk

--
Name : Dhruva Krishnamurthy (dk)
Phone: +91-(0)80-22999190

* Re: X Resources?
@ 2005-05-19  7:40       ` don provan
From: don provan @ 2005-05-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy@in.bosch.com> writes:
> dp> Funny you should mention that: I also share my .emacs between various
> dp> systems, which is exactly why I use X resources: I give emacs (as well as
> dp> other applications) different color schemes depending on where the
> dp> application is running to help me keep them straight.
>
> This will worn on UNIX like OS's. Does this work on Windoze box (where there
> is no concept of X)?
> Maybe, you need a combination of the two.
> I check the symbol to check if running under X: (boundp 'x-resource-name)

I just let Windows use the default colors, but it turns out that
I don't use Emacs on Windows very much. I mainly use Windows as an
X-server for applications such as Emacs running on real systems.

> Since, even on MS-Windows, you could have a CYGWIN build using XFree86
> server. I have not tried it on CYGWIN though.

It works fine, but personally I like running the native Emacs for
Windows. I mean, X is OK, but a native Windows application is better.
Besides, CygWin puts you in that hinky simulated Unix disk that
doesn't agree with the real file system. Anyone have some Emacs code
to help with that little Snafu? It all seems so reasonable until you
run into the cases where two applications don't agree on what a file's
name is.

-don

@ 2005-10-31 18:30 ` Susan Pinochet