all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-20 22:35 Overbeck
From: Overbeck @ 2005-12-20 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen this asked but not really answered:

In my "out-of-the-box" emacs 21.3, TeXMode view is set to "dvi2tty" which is
not implemented in MikTex. I've changed the variable in all sorts of ways
including putting (setq tex-dvi-view-command "yap") in .emacs.

On loading a .tex file, the "TeX View" command is grayed out. If I make some
kind of change and "TeX File" it, the "TeX View" command is now present.
Clicking on that (or going C-c C-v) does nothing! No Yap, no message in the
Shell window..., nothing!

If I make another (unnecessary) change and TeX File again, I get a blank Yap
window with "Filename (Not Responding) in the title bar.

My question is:

Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on Windows XP?
If so, *how*?

Many TIA,

Buz Overbeck

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-21  9:14 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-21  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:

> In my "out-of-the-box" emacs 21.3, TeXMode view is set to "dvi2tty"
> which is not implemented in MikTex. I've changed the variable in all
> sorts of ways including putting (setq tex-dvi-view-command "yap") in
> .emacs.
>
> My question is:
>
> Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on
> Windows XP?  If so, *how*?

Most people don't bother with Emacs' built-in mode and use AUCTeX
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> instead.  A precompiled
developer Emacs for Windows including AUCTeX can be gotten from

<URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-22 15:36   ` Overbeck
From: Overbeck @ 2005-12-22 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:
>> My question is:
>>
>> Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on
>> Windows XP?  If so, *how*?
>
> Most people don't bother with Emacs' built-in mode and use AUCTeX
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> instead.  A precompiled
> developer Emacs for Windows including AUCTeX can be gotten from
>
> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed the Emacs/AucTeX
package and, on running it, I see that it seems to be preconfigured for
LaTeX. I don't use LaTeX, rather I use plain TeX. Consequently, it won't
compile my plain TeX files as it's looking for LaTeX commands.

Is there a way to configure AucTeX to default to TeX rather than LaTeX and
put the TeX commands on the menu? If not, I'm still looking for the answer
to my question above.

Many thanks for the response,

Buz Overbeck

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-23  0:41     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-23  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:

> "David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
>> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:
>>> My question is:
>>>
>>> Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on
>>> Windows XP?  If so, *how*?
>>
>> Most people don't bother with Emacs' built-in mode and use AUCTeX
>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> instead.  A precompiled
>> developer Emacs for Windows including AUCTeX can be gotten from
>>
>> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed the
> Emacs/AucTeX package and, on running it, I see that it seems to be
> preconfigured for LaTeX. I don't use LaTeX, rather I use plain
> TeX. Consequently, it won't compile my plain TeX files as it's
> looking for LaTeX commands.
>
> Is there a way to configure AucTeX to default to TeX rather than
> LaTeX and put the TeX commands on the menu?

M-x customize-variable RET TeX-default-mode RET

Also, if you don't want to use AUCTeX at all for plain TeX (the
advantage over the built-in mode is not as staggering for plain TeX as
compared over LaTeX, but probably still there for the job shell
stuff), you could use

M-x customize-variable RET TeX-modes RET

and remove plain-tex-mode from the list, in which case plain TeX will
be catered for by Emacs' built-in mode.

In short: we have taken pains that in a setup with preconfigured
AUCTeX it is easy to get rid of AUCTeX completely or for particular
modes, if you really want to.

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-23  9:44     ` Geoffroy VILLE
From: Geoffroy VILLE @ 2005-12-23  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Overbeck> news:85ek46dd77.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
>> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:
>>> My question is:
>>>
>>> Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on Windows
>>> XP?  If so, *how*?

Overbeck> Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded and installed the
Overbeck> Emacs/AucTeX package and, on running it, I see that it seems to be
Overbeck> preconfigured for LaTeX. I don't use LaTeX, rather I use plain
Overbeck> TeX. Consequently, it won't compile my plain TeX files as it's
Overbeck> looking for LaTeX commands.

Overbeck> Is there a way to configure AucTeX to default to TeX rather than
Overbeck> LaTeX and put the TeX commands on the menu? If not, I'm still
Overbeck> looking for the answer to my question above.

Take a look at the tex-mik.el package, or better, load-library it. It should fix your
problem.

-- Geoffroy

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-24  4:07       ` Overbeck
       [not found]         ` <mailman.20324.1135418892.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Overbeck @ 2005-12-24  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Geoffroy VILLE" <gville@libertysurf.fr> wrote in message

> Overbeck> "David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
> Overbeck> news:85ek46dd77.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
>>> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:

> Overbeck> Is there a way to configure AucTeX to default to TeX rather than
> Overbeck> LaTeX and put the TeX commands on the menu? If not, I'm still
> Overbeck> looking for the answer to my question above.
>
> Take a look at the tex-mik.el package, or better, load-library it. It
> should fix your
> problem.
>
> -- Geoffroy

Thanks Geoffroy. I tried your suggestion (I think!) and nothing seemed to
have changed. So, I guess I did something wrong.  In AucTex I:

1. M-x load-library RET tex-mik.el RET
2. Tried compiling my file.tex with C-c C-c and find (default LaTeX) again
in the Status Bar.

I'd just like to replace LaTeX with TeX on the menu and default to plain tex
mode.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Buz

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-24 10:04         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.20324.1135418892.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-24 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.12.2005 um 05:07 schrieb Overbeck:

> I'd just like to replace LaTeX with TeX on the menu and default to
> plain tex
> mode.

Did you read about these statements:

      (require 'tex-site)
	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda () (TeX-fold-mode 1)))
	(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode
	(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)

I haven't read the AUCTeX manual since one year, I think ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error
but fruit flies like a banana

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
       [not found]         ` <mailman.20324.1135418892.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-24 10:56           ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-24 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 24.12.2005 um 05:07 schrieb Overbeck:
>
>> I'd just like to replace LaTeX with TeX on the menu and default to
>> plain tex
>> mode.
>>

> Did you read about these statements:
>
>       (require 'tex-site)
> 	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
> 	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda () (TeX-fold-mode 1)))
> 	(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode
> 	(setq reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t)
>
> I haven't read the AUCTeX manual since one year, I think ...

His problem was getting rid of AUCTeX and/or setting the default mode
to plain TeX mode, so your advice is rather contraproductive.  He
contacted me in private Email about this in spite of my answering this
in this group already.  Let's hope that he'll summarize here when he
gets his problem solved so that people don't feel compelled to add
further advice.

It seems like the concept of "I don't want to use LaTeX, I don't want
to use AUCTeX" is a bit hard to understand for the people on this
list: most of the advice I have seen is exactly the opposite of what
the poster has been asking for.

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-24 15:21             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.12.2005 um 11:56 schrieb David Kastrup:

> His problem was getting rid of AUCTeX and/or setting the default mode
> to plain TeX mode, so your advice is rather contraproductive.

No, not at all: when AUCTeX is correctly set up a TeX file gets TeX'ed
and a LaTeX file gets LaTeX'ed automatically, detected by AUCTeX. So
all he needs to do is to do it right with AUCTeX. In my humble opinion

Hopefully he finds some contemplative moments to read the manuals until
next year!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-26 14:19   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-12-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:
>
> > In my "out-of-the-box" emacs 21.3, TeXMode view is set to "dvi2tty"
> > which is not implemented in MikTex. I've changed the variable in all
> > sorts of ways including putting (setq tex-dvi-view-command "yap") in
> > .emacs.
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on
> > Windows XP?  If so, *how*?
>
> Most people don't bother with Emacs' built-in mode and use AUCTeX
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> instead.  A precompiled
> developer Emacs for Windows including AUCTeX can be gotten from
>
> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>

This is the first precompiled CVS version of Emacs that I have heard of.
(Still 21.3 here: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ ) Has the leim
package been incorporated into it, or will that have to wait for version
23?

Thanks,

Ed.

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-26 18:51     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:19:58 GMT
>
> Has the leim package been incorporated into it, or will that have to
> wait for version 23?

>From etc/NEWS:

    ** Leim is now part of the Emacs distribution.
    You no longer need to download a separate tarball in order to build
    Emacs with Leim.

    ** The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual is now part of the distribution.

    The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual in Info format is built as part of the
    Emacs build procedure and installed together with the Emacs User
    Manual.  A menu item was added to the menu bar that makes it easy
    accessible (Help->More Manuals->Emacs Lisp Reference).

    ** The Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp manual is now part of
    the distribution.

    This manual is now part of the standard distribution and is installed,
    together with the Emacs User Manual, into the Info directory.  A menu
    item was added to the menu bar that makes it easy accessible
    (Help->More Manuals->Introduction to Emacs Lisp).

* Re: Gnu Emacs +MikTex +Yap
@ 2005-12-28 17:43     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-12-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:

> "David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
>> "Overbeck" <overbeck@inreach.com> writes:
>>
>> > In my "out-of-the-box" emacs 21.3, TeXMode view is set to "dvi2tty"
>> > which is not implemented in MikTex. I've changed the variable in all
>> > sorts of ways including putting (setq tex-dvi-view-command "yap") in
>> > .emacs.
>> >
>> > My question is:
>> >
>> > Has *anyone* successfully set up Yap in MikTex with GNU Emacs on
>> > Windows XP?  If so, *how*?
>>
>> Most people don't bother with Emacs' built-in mode and use AUCTeX
>> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex> instead.  A precompiled
>> developer Emacs for Windows including AUCTeX can be gotten from
>>
>> <URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/auctex>
>
> This is the first precompiled CVS version of Emacs that I have heard
> of.

nqmacs <URL:http://nqmacs.sourceforge.net>, Crasseux Emacs
<URL:http://crasseux.com/emacs>.  But I think both of them are older
than the AUCTeX test version.

> (Still 21.3 here: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ ) Has the
> leim package been incorporated into it, or will that have to wait
> for version 23?

Leim is part of CVS Emacs.