all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs problem with RCS
@ 2002-10-19 22:12 Ed
From: Ed @ 2002-10-19 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am trying to use RCS but emacs is giving me problems.

I am using emacs 21.2 on a windows system with the most recent cygwin
RCS port.

I want to use the emacs commands for dealing with RCS, but those are
giving me weird results, so first I am just trying to use RCS from the
command line and use emacs just as a text editor.

I create a file called test2.cs and a subdirectory RCS. I opened a
bash shell and did:

ci test2.cs

That asked me for the file description comments and otherwise seems to
work as I expect.

Then I do:

co -l test2.cs

This gets me a checked out and locked version of the file, with rw
permissions (according to dired).

But when I try to edit this file with emacs, it is opened as read
only, even when it seems to be read/write according to dired.

What is going on?

Any comments would be useful.

THanks!

Ed

* Re: emacs problem with RCS
@ 2002-10-21 13:41 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-21 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> co -l test2.cs

> This gets me a checked out and locked version of the file, with rw
> permissions (according to dired).

> But when I try to edit this file with emacs, it is opened as read
> only, even when it seems to be read/write according to dired.

It's not a bug it's a feature.  Please complain loudly because I think
this feature should be turned into a bug.

What's happenning (most likely) is that VC thinks the user who locked
the file is not the same as the user who runs the Emacs program (even
though in both cases it's you).

* Re: emacs problem with RCS
@ 2002-10-21 16:10   ` Ed
From: Ed @ 2002-10-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > co -l test2.cs
>
> > This gets me a checked out and locked version of the file, with rw
> > permissions (according to dired).
>
> > But when I try to edit this file with emacs, it is opened as read
> > only, even when it seems to be read/write according to dired.
>
> It's not a bug it's a feature.  Please complain loudly because I think
> this feature should be turned into a bug.
>
> What's happenning (most likely) is that VC thinks the user who locked
> the file is not the same as the user who runs the Emacs program (even
> though in both cases it's you).

Complaining is not going to solve the problem!

How do I get emacs and RCS to believe I am the same person?

Ed

* Re: emacs problem with RCS
@ 2002-10-23 15:43     ` Vagn Johansen
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2002-10-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

When i experimented with RCS on cygwin a while back, I had some problems
casued by the USERNAME and LOGNAME environment variables.

I added

   (setenv "LOGNAME" (getenv "USERNAME"))  ; RCS fix

to my .emacs which improved the situation. (No guarantees!)

My next problem was that added log entries (via $Log$) added an extra
^M to the file, so I had a line ending with 0x0d 0x0d 0x0a. This causes
emacs to think it is a unix file and then it displays ^M after ALL lines.