all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to copy range to clip board
@ 2002-12-19 23:51 Siegfried Heintze
From: Siegfried Heintze @ 2002-12-19 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a text file with the strings "begin resume" and "end resume" before
and after my resume.

How do I copy this to the clipboard? Whenever I position my self at "begin
resume", mark the current location with Ctrl+Space, and search for "end
resume" I loose the beginning mark!

Surely there is a faster way that using PGDN and PGUP for this?

 Thanks
     Siegfried

* Re: How to copy range to clip board
@ 2002-12-20  7:40 ` Bernd Wolter
From: Bernd Wolter @ 2002-12-20  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> writes:

> I have a text file with the strings "begin resume" and "end resume" before
> and after my resume.
>
> How do I copy this to the clipboard? Whenever I position my self at "begin
> resume", mark the current location with Ctrl+Space, and search for "end
> resume" I loose the beginning mark!
>
> Surely there is a faster way that using PGDN and PGUP for this?
>
>  Thanks
>      Siegfried

How do you start your search? When I do on the above text C-SPC on the
I in "I have" and then do C-s to start an incremental search and enter
"I copy" all the text from the beginning of your post to the end of
the fourth word in the second paragraph are marked by transient-mark
and can be either killed or saved. Perhaps you're only using the wrong
method to search?

HTH

Bernd

* Re: How to copy range to clip board
@ 2002-12-20 15:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-20 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Siegfried Heintze" <siegfried@heintze.com> writes:

> How do I copy this to the clipboard? Whenever I position my self at "begin
> resume", mark the current location with Ctrl+Space, and search for "end
> resume" I loose the beginning mark!

The marks are put on a ring.  So if C-x C-x takes you to the wrong
spot, try C-u C-SPC, then C-x C-x again.

But C-s already sets the mark.  So if you position yourself *after*
"begin resume", then invoke C-s, then end the search with RET, then
C-x C-x should take you back to where you invoked C-s, which is the
right spot.  Right?