all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hs-minor-mode: hs-mouse-toggle-hiding
@ 2005-06-08  0:43 Peter Meier
From: Peter Meier @ 2005-06-08  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I want to use Emacs as editor for Programming C and C++.

I'd like to use hs-minor-mode for hiding some C blocks.
Now I've a problem with hs-mouse-toggle-hiding.
If I hide a block by clicking on it, I'm not able to get it back.
Where must I place the click to get the block back?

Thanks
    Peter

* Re: hs-minor-mode: hs-mouse-toggle-hiding
@ 2005-06-08  3:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-08  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:43:33 +0800
> From: Peter Meier <PeterMeier@antispam.de>
>
> Now I've a problem with hs-mouse-toggle-hiding.
> If I hide a block by clicking on it, I'm not able to get it back.
> Where must I place the click to get the block back?

You should click on the "..." that replaces the hidden block.  If that
doesn't work in some case, please report that as a bug.

* Re: hs-minor-mode: hs-mouse-toggle-hiding
@ 2005-06-12  9:53 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4399.1118576613.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-06-12  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Meier <PeterMeier@antispam.de> writes:

> I'd like to use hs-minor-mode for hiding some C blocks.
> Now I've a problem with hs-mouse-toggle-hiding.
> If I hide a block by clicking on it, I'm not able to get it back.
> Where must I place the click to get the block back?

recent hideshow.el[*] allows you to futz w/ the overlay (and its
properties) at creation time via user var `hs-set-up-overlay'.

here are some ideas:
 - reposition overlay start to beginning of line
 - add an overlay or text-property to the fragment of text
   between the block start and the overlay that "slides" the
   mouse click to end of line
 - advise `hs-mouse-toggle-hiding' to check end of line
 - put marker or otherwise record location of block start
   and advise `hs-mouse-toggle-hiding' to check for it

i can't evaluate the merit (if any) of these ideas, since i don't use
the mouse personally (probably this is evident in the implementation of
`hs-mouse-toggle-hiding').  small hacks to facilitate mouse handling,
for inclusion in the Commentary, welcome.

thi

[*] http://www.glug.org/people/ttn/software/hideshow/
    and also in cvs emacs

* Re: hs-minor-mode: hs-mouse-toggle-hiding
@ 2005-06-12 11:36   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4399.1118576613.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-12 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org>
> Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:53:59 +0200
>
> > I'd like to use hs-minor-mode for hiding some C blocks.
> > Now I've a problem with hs-mouse-toggle-hiding.
> > If I hide a block by clicking on it, I'm not able to get it back.
> > Where must I place the click to get the block back?
>
> recent hideshow.el[*] allows you to futz w/ the overlay (and its
> properties) at creation time via user var `hs-set-up-overlay'.
>
> here are some ideas:
>  - reposition overlay start to beginning of line
>  - add an overlay or text-property to the fragment of text
>    between the block start and the overlay that "slides" the
>    mouse click to end of line
>  - advise `hs-mouse-toggle-hiding' to check end of line
>  - put marker or otherwise record location of block start
>    and advise `hs-mouse-toggle-hiding' to check for it

Does any of these do the obvious thing--let the click on the ellipsis
that replaces the hidden block unhide it?  If one of these does that,
I'd suggest to make it the default.  If not, add such a behavior and
make it the default.  That's the behavior I'd expect.

@ 2005-06-12 19:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does any of these do the obvious thing--let the click on the ellipsis
> that replaces the hidden block unhide it?  If one of these does that,
> I'd suggest to make it the default.  If not, add such a behavior and
> make it the default.  That's the behavior I'd expect.

IIRC you can't do that right now.  Just like you can't put a mouse-face on
them either.