all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make "C-M-v" to work on i386 linux?
@ 2005-09-12  5:29 Mohd. Jeffry
From: Mohd. Jeffry @ 2005-09-12  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I split in two windows, I want to be able to scroll the other window
using C-M-v . I'm using a regualar i386 pc keybord and Crtl-Alt-v combo
doesn't work. I don't wnat to settle for ESC Ctrl-v or M-x
scroll-other-window.

--
Malaysian Java Online Community (
www.kampungjawa.cjb.net<http://www.kampungjawa.cjb.net>)

* Re: How to make "C-M-v" to work on i386 linux?
@ 2005-09-12  8:26 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-12  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.09.2005 um 07:29 schrieb Mohd. Jeffry:

> If I split in two windows, I want to be able to scroll the other
> window using C-M-v . I'm using a regualar i386 pc keybord and
> Crtl-Alt-v combo doesn't work. I don't wnat to settle for ESC Ctrl-v
> or M-x scroll-other-window.

I think you have five options:

- another X server
- another key combination
- another keyboard
- another GNU Emacs
- build GNU Emacs yourself with prepared C header files for X11

Combining many keys to create one key event is a function that your X11
server does. To do so it needs definitions in its C header files. GNU
Emacs, as any other X client, is using this capability. I too think
that there are keyboards that cannot report that three or more keys are
pressed together -- who would do that voluntarily?

Have you checked what is returned when you first do 'M-x global-set-key
<your key combination> RET' and then C-x Esc Esc
(repeat-complex-command)? Is there some numerical value reported to
which the function is bound? If so this statement can be put into your
.emacs file ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

* Re: How to make "C-M-v" to work on i386 linux?
       [not found] <mailman.6698.1126503055.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-12 14:42 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2005-09-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Mohd> I'm using a regualar i386 pc keybord and Crtl-Alt-v combo
    Mohd> doesn't work.

try:

(setq-default x-alt-keysym 'meta)

* Re: How to make "C-M-v" to work on i386 linux?
@ 2005-09-12 23:23 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-09-12 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohd> If I split in two windows, I want to be able to scroll the other
Mohd> window using C-M-v . I'm using a regualar i386 pc keybord and
Mohd> Crtl-Alt-v combo doesn't work. I don't wnat to settle for ESC
Mohd> Ctrl-v or M-x scroll-other-window.

Are you talking about Emacs on the Linux console or in X Window?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.