all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to stop time-consuming operations?
@ 2006-05-25 19:26 kj
From: kj @ 2006-05-25 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I started a replace-string command that is taking too long (the
file is much bigger than I had realized).  How can I tell Emacs to
abort the operation?  Ctrl-G is not doing it...  (I have a lot of
other buffers open, so I'd really prefer not to kill Emacs altogether.)

(I realize that by the time replies appear to this question, my
Emacs will have probably finished with the operation, but the
problem occurs occasionally, and I'd like to know how best to handle
it.)

TIA!

kj

* Re: How to stop time-consuming operations?
@ 2006-05-25 20:00 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-05-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.05.2006 um 21:26 schrieb kj:

> I started a replace-string command that is taking too long (the
> file is much bigger than I had realized).  How can I tell Emacs to
> abort the operation?  Ctrl-G is not doing it...  (I have a lot of
> other buffers open, so I'd really prefer not to kill Emacs
> altogether.)

Put GNU Emacs asleep with Ctrl-Z and wake it when you go to bed. In
the meantime use another instance!

--
Greetings

   Pete

  Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches

* Re: How to stop time-consuming operations?
@ 2006-05-25 22:05 ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2006-05-25 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoth kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>:
> How can I tell Emacs to abort the operation?  Ctrl-G is not doing
> it...  (I have a lot of other buffers open, so I'd really prefer not
> to kill Emacs altogether.)

I don't think there is a way, other than killing the Emacs session.
However, 9 times out of ten Emacs exits cleanly when killed, i.e.,
auto-saves are performed if needed.

Then all you have to do to restore all your buffers (and their
contents) is:

  M-x recover-session

and answer 'yes' a few times.

sdt

* Re: How to stop time-consuming operations?
@ 2006-05-26  6:52 ` Uli Kutzscher
From: Uli Kutzscher @ 2006-05-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 26 Thu May 25?, kj wrote:

> I started a replace-string command that is taking too long (the
> file is much bigger than I had realized).  How can I tell Emacs to
> abort the operation?  Ctrl-G is not doing it...  (I have a lot of
> other buffers open, so I'd really prefer not to kill Emacs altogether.)

Maybe M-x kill-buffer does the job?

hth, Uli

* Re: How to stop time-consuming operations?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-05-26  7:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-05-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:26:25 +0000 (UTC)
>
> I started a replace-string command that is taking too long (the
> file is much bigger than I had realized).  How can I tell Emacs to
> abort the operation?  Ctrl-G is not doing it...

If C-g does not abort a prolonged operation, it's a bug in Emacs.
Please report that (with the details necessary to reproduce the
problem) to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.  All potentially prolonged
operations absolutely must listen to C-g.