all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python indent region
@ 2006-07-10 10:49 Shug Boabby
From: Shug Boabby @ 2006-07-10 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

As you may know, python recognises blocks of code by their indentation
level. Emacs handles this very well when writing code. However, Emacs
does not handle indenting/unindenting whole regions very well.

I was wondering if somebody could please write me some lisp code that
would add 4 spaces (or the user defined indent character) to the
beginning of each line in a region, and a complementary function to
reduce each line in a region by one indentation level. These would
really help out when doing some code restructuring in Python.

Thanks,
Shug

* Re: Python indent region
@ 2006-07-10 11:12 ` Wolfram Kraus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3945.1152558917.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wolfram Kraus @ 2006-07-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10.07.2006 12:49, Shug Boabby wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As you may know, python recognises blocks of code by their indentation
> level. Emacs handles this very well when writing code. However, Emacs
> does not handle indenting/unindenting whole regions very well.
>
> I was wondering if somebody could please write me some lisp code that
> would add 4 spaces (or the user defined indent character) to the
> beginning of each line in a region, and a complementary function to
> reduce each line in a region by one indentation level. These would
> really help out when doing some code restructuring in Python.
>
> Thanks,
> Shug

In Python-mode
C-c <
C-c >
should do what you want

HTH,
Wolfram

* Re: Python indent region
@ 2006-07-10 19:15   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3945.1152558917.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-07-10 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.07.2006 um 13:12 schrieb Wolfram Kraus:

> In Python-mode
> C-c <
> C-c >
> should do what you want

And if these do not do it you can use rectangle functions to cut out
a block of so many lines height and these few columns width, or
"open" the marked lines by inserting as many spaces as the mark
indicates or a particular string.

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: Python indent region
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3945.1152558917.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-11  9:08     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-07-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> And if these do not do it you can use rectangle functions to cut out
> a block of so many lines height and these few columns width, or
> "open" the marked lines by inserting as many spaces as the mark
> indicates or a particular string.

For example C-x r o (open rectangle). You can also use C-x r t STRING
to prefix a rectangle with a string.

And, finally, you can also use C-x TAB to indent region one space at a
time. With a prefix argument you can control the number of spaces and
you can even enter a negative argument to decrease the indentation.

I think you should have enough options now :)