all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
[parent not found: <mailman.7769.1160064366.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: multiple collapse sections of code?
@ 2006-10-05 16:06 Mickey Ferguson
From: Mickey Ferguson @ 2006-10-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mathias Dahl" <brakjoller@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mickey Ferguson" <MFerguson@plantcml.com> writes:

> Did you even try? :) As far as I understand, it should work in all
> C-like modes, but I could be wrong.

Did I try?  Short answer - no. :-) Longer answer - first, I had no idea
where to start, but second, I'm really not conversant in elisp at all.
In college I studied lisp for about a week, but that was well over
twenty years ago.  The few remaining brain cells from those days have
long since forgotten how to link together to comprehend lisp, and
certainly not to write new lisp code!

As for working in C-like modes, the two languages I have to use the
most, VB6 and InstallShield script, do not work.  Obviously VB is not
very C-like, and InstallShield script is C-like only in terms of
understandability, but not syntax - no curly braces, slight keyword
differences, etc.  I figured I would be out of luck for both of these
languages, but it never hurts to ask.

[parent not found: <mailman.7729.1159981526.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: multiple collapse sections of code?
@ 2006-10-04 17:05 Mickey Ferguson
From: Mickey Ferguson @ 2006-10-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mathias Dahl" wrote in message news:<ufye4h6q3.fsf@gmail.com>...
> You should try out `outline-minor-mode'. I use it in Java files
> sometimes to hide blocks of code.
>
> For easy access, I have bound new keys to the hide- and show-subtree
> commands:
>
>  (defun my-outline-minor-mode-keys ()
>    (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "<C-kp-subtract>")
'hide-subtree)
>    (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "<C-kp-add>")
'show-subtree))

>  (add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook 'my-outline-minor-mode-keys)
>
> To use, place point at a opening bracket and type C-kp-substract (that
> is the minus key on the numeric keypad).

Looks interesting.  I wish it would use a plus and minus sign at the far
left, instead of the ellipses right next to the braces.  It would make
it easier to spot, but I could live with that.

Any chance it can be customized to work with other programming
languages?  I frequently work in C++, C#, VB (VB6, not VB.NET), and
InstallShield Script (which is somewhat C-like).  It would be great if I
could get support for some of them as well.  If it was easy to configure
to support other languages, I would be interested in learning how to do
that.

Thanks for the suggestion and help!

Mickey

* multiple collapse sections of code?