all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-17 18:34 Will
From: Will @ 2007-08-17 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

how can I tell Emacs *what* and *how* it shall display file/folder
details in Dired?

For example, I'd like to display the complete date and time information
for each file, not depending on the date/time of the file. At the
moment, Dired drops the time if the file is older. Further, I'd like to
switch off the display of user rights or file owners/groups.

Thanks for helping in advance,

Will

* Re: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-17 19:47 ` poppyer
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5074.1187728800.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: poppyer @ 2007-08-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Will <schimpanski@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> how can I tell Emacs *what* and *how* it shall display file/folder
> details in Dired?
>
> For example, I'd like to display the complete date and time
> information for each file, not depending on the date/time of the
> file. At the moment, Dired drops the time if the file is
> older. Further, I'd like to switch off the display of user rights or
> file owners/groups.

Basically, dired use "ls" command as its input.
You can try to customize "dired-listing-switches" variable to suit your needs
for example:
(setq dired-listing-switches "-l")	;; hide .hiding file

Cheers,
poppyer

* Re: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-17 20:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Will <schimpanski@gmx.de>
> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:34:06 +0200
>
> how can I tell Emacs *what* and *how* it shall display file/folder
> details in Dired?

See the documentation of the variable `dired-listing-switches'.  Also,
if you invoke Dired with an argument, as in "C-u C-x d", it asks for
switches to pass to `ls'.

> For example, I'd like to display the complete date and time information
> for each file, not depending on the date/time of the file.

If you are on a GNU/Linux system, add "--full-time" to the switches.
If you are on Windows, this cannot be done at the moment.

> Further, I'd like to switch off the display of user rights or file
> owners/groups.

Add -g and -G to `dired-listing-switches'.

* autoload semantic error
@ 2007-08-21 17:44       ` Benjamin Gramlich
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5082.1187736631.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Benjamin Gramlich @ 2007-08-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings,

I've encountered an error that no amount of searching has helped me
resolve. When I load a .c file normally I get this error:

File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
function semantic-default-c-setup")

When I try parse a php buffer in MMM-mode, I get the same error. I've
turn on the toggle-debug-on-error, and was able to click on the
semantic-default-c-setup function. Which brought me to semantic-c.el in
the directory /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine. I have
cedet installed because I use the JDE.

Also, here is the function definition from semantic-c.el:

;;;###autoload
(defun semantic-default-c-setup ()
  "Set up a buffer for semantic parsing of the C language."
  (semantic-c-by--install-parser)
  (setq semantic-lex-syntax-modifications '((?> ".")
                                            (?< ".")
                                            )
        )

  (setq semantic-lex-analyzer #'semantic-c-lexer)
  (setq semantic-lex-spp-macro-symbol-obarray
	(semantic-lex-make-spp-table semantic-lex-c-preprocessor-symbol-map))
  (add-hook 'semantic-lex-reset-hooks 'semantic-lex-spp-reset-hook nil
t)
  )

Thank you for your time,

Benjamin Gramlich

* Re: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-21 20:41   ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5074.1187728800.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-08-21 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poppyer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

poppyer <poppyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Basically, dired use "ls" command as its input.
> You can try to customize "dired-listing-switches" variable to suit your needs
> for example:
> (setq dired-listing-switches "-l")	;; hide .hiding file

Does anybody know how to sort directories before or after regular
files with ls options or does some trick in dired exist for this kind
of sorting?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

@ 2007-08-21 20:57     ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-08-21 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Does anybody know how to sort directories before or after regular
> files with ls options or does some trick in dired exist for this kind
> of sorting?

If you have coreutils 6.0 or higher, you can use ls' new option
--group-directories-first.  I don't know of any dired trick to achieve
this otherwise.

Cheers,
       Sven

* RE: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-21 21:59     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5082.1187736631.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-08-21 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dieter Wilhelm, poppyer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Basically, dired use "ls" command as its input.
> > You can try to customize "dired-listing-switches" variable to
> suit your needs
> > for example:
> > (setq dired-listing-switches "-l")	;; hide .hiding file
>
> Does anybody know how to sort directories before or after regular
> files with ls options or does some trick in dired exist for this kind
> of sorting?

This doesn't answer your `ls' question, but if you use MS Windows then you
can do what you want with library `dired-sort-menu.el'. I use also
`dired-sort-menu+.el'. Key `/' toggles sorting directories first.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DiredSortMenu

* Re: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-21 23:52     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-08-21 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:41:21 +0200 Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:

> Does anybody know how to sort directories before or after regular
> files with ls options or does some trick in dired exist for this kind
> of sorting?

Besides the mentioned ls option --group-directories-first (for
coreutils >= 6.0) there's ls-lisp.el:

(require 'ls-lisp)
(setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil
      ls-lisp-dirs-first t)

Steve Berman

* Re: autoload semantic error
@ 2007-08-22  6:51           ` Benjamin Gramlich
From: Benjamin Gramlich @ 2007-08-22  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pzehnder; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Try putting this in your .emacs file:
>
> (load-file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/semantic-
> c.el")

That did the trick! Thank you for your response.

Benjamin

* Re: autoload semantic error
       [not found]       ` <mailman.5082.1187736631.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-22 10:19         ` pzehnder
From: pzehnder @ 2007-08-22 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-08-22 10:47           ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-08-22 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pzehnder <philipp.zehnder@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 21, 7:44 pm, Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin.graml...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've encountered an error that no amount of searching has helped me
>> resolve. When I load a .c file normally I get this error:
>>
>> File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
>> function semantic-default-c-setup")
>>
>> When I try parse a php buffer in MMM-mode, I get the same error. I've
>> turn on the toggle-debug-on-error, and was able to click on the
>> semantic-default-c-setup function. Which brought me to semantic-c.el in
>> the directory /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine. I have
>> cedet installed because I use the JDE.
>>
>> Also, here is the function definition from semantic-c.el:
>>
>> ;;;###autoload
>> (defun semantic-default-c-setup ()
>>   "Set up a buffer for semantic parsing of the C language."
>>   (semantic-c-by--install-parser)
>>   (setq semantic-lex-syntax-modifications '((?> ".")
>>                                             (?< ".")
>>                                             )
>>         )
>>
>>   (setq semantic-lex-analyzer #'semantic-c-lexer)
>>   (setq semantic-lex-spp-macro-symbol-obarray
>>         (semantic-lex-make-spp-table semantic-lex-c-preprocessor-symbol-map))
>>   (add-hook 'semantic-lex-reset-hooks 'semantic-lex-spp-reset-hook nil
>> t)
>>   )
>>
>> Thank you for your time,
>>
>> Benjamin Gramlich
>
> Try putting this in your .emacs file:
>
> (load-file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/semantic-
> c.el")

I get no such errors using the latest cedet packages.

--
It is surely a great calamity for a human being to have no obsessions.
		-- Robert Bly

* Re: autoload semantic error
@ 2007-08-22 15:06           ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-08-22 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22 Aug, 11:19, pzehnder <philipp.zehn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try putting this in your .emacs file:
>
> (load-file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/semantic-
> c.el")

Or better, regenerate the cedet-loaddefs file to include the autoloads
for all of CEDET (something went wrong with the initial generation for
me, maybe its a bug in pre4):

(cedet-update-autoloads "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet/common/cedet-
loaddefs.el"
    "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cedet" "cogre" "common" "contrib"
"ede" "eieio" "semantic" "semantic/bovine" "semantic/wisent"
"speedbar")

* Re: Dired: configure displayed file/folder details
@ 2007-08-23 19:54       ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-08-23 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:41:21 +0200 Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know how to sort directories before or after regular
>> files with ls options or does some trick in dired exist for this kind
>> of sorting?
>
> Besides the mentioned ls option --group-directories-first (for
> coreutils >= 6.0) there's ls-lisp.el:

That is good to know, thanks Drew, Sven and Stephen for your hints.

> (require 'ls-lisp)
> (setq ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program nil
>       ls-lisp-dirs-first t)

Great, exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany