all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* init file help
@ 2008-04-29 23:02 DeSoya
       [not found] ` <mailman.10965.1209542379.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: DeSoya @ 2008-04-29 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to write bash scripts in emacs but Cygwin was having
problems interpreting the line endings. Someone suggested that I use
the command C-x RET f <unix> to fix the trouble. Sure enough it worked
like a charm. I tried to make this my default by editing my init file.
Unfortunately I'm on XP and there was no default init. I went ahead
and used C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el to create one. Then I typed (setq
default-buffer-file-coding-system 'unix), saved it and quit out of
emacs to test my creation. When I opened the program back up I got a
error message from my init file. Now it just reads "Invalid coding
system: Unix" in the buffer and I can't actually run any commands.
This means I can't edit the init.el file since I can't open anything.
Anyone have any insight?

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30  7:59 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.10965.1209542379.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-04-30  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeSoya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.04.2008 um 01:02 schrieb DeSoya:

> (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'unix)

It might be better not to specify the UNIX line endings form of all
encodings but of one specific, for example:

	(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'iso-8859-15-unix)

The manual change request might have been interpreted as a wish to
switch from some variant to the UNIX variant line endings, so it
could succeed. In your init file no encoding was previously set, so
there does not seem to be a sense in your statement.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget
cuts.

* Re: init file help
       [not found] ` <mailman.10965.1209542379.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-30 16:36   ` DeSoya
From: DeSoya @ 2008-04-30 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
option through windows? I'm not using the command line since my cygwin
install doesn't seem to like the tar.gz file that I tried to use
before giving up and getting the windows .zip.

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 16:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-30 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:59:26 +0200
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>

> Am 30.04.2008 um 01:02 schrieb DeSoya:
>
> > (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'unix)
>

> It might be better not to specify the UNIX line endings form of all
> encodings but of one specific, for example:
>
> 	(setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'iso-8859-15-unix)

Actually, this is not what the OP wants.  I think he wants this:

  (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'undecided-unix)

The advantage of the latter is that it doesn't fix the character
encoding, only the line-endings.

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 16:46     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10979.1209574001.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeSoya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

DeSoya wrote:
> It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
> emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
> the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
> predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
> and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
> option through windows? I'm not using the command line since my cygwin
> install doesn't seem to like the tar.gz file that I tried to use
> before giving up and getting the windows .zip.

Just start Emacs with

   emacs -Q

(note the uppercase Q). Then in Emacs do

   C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el

to try to open the file. Or you can do

   M-: (file-truename "~/.emacs.d/init.el")

to see where it is.

* Re: init file help
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10979.1209574001.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-30 16:55       ` DeSoya
From: DeSoya @ 2008-04-30 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 10:46 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> DeSoya wrote:
> > It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
> > emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
> > the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
> > predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
> > and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
> > option through windows? I'm not using the command line since my cygwin
> > install doesn't seem to like the tar.gz file that I tried to use
> > before giving up and getting the windows .zip.
>
> Just start Emacs with
>
>    emacs -Q
>
> (note the uppercase Q). Then in Emacs do
>
>    C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el
>
> to try to open the file. Or you can do
>
>    M-: (file-truename "~/.emacs.d/init.el")
>
> to see where it is.

I can't open the program using the command line for some reason. I
tried the "emacs -q" command in both cygwin and dos and get the
following error:

ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
$ emacs -q
bash: emacs: command not found

* Re: init file help
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10979.1209574001.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-30 16:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10980.1209574789.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: DeSoya <nathan.doyle26@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
>
> It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
> emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
> the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
> predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
> and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
> option through windows?

The init file is in your home directory.  Your home directory is
either the one pointed to by the HOME environment variable (if you set
that; Windows by default does not); or "C:\Documents and
Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data".

* Re: init file help
       [not found]     ` <mailman.10980.1209574789.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-04-30 17:04       ` DeSoya
       [not found]         ` <u3ap1eanm.fsf@earthlink.net>
From: DeSoya @ 2008-04-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 30, 10:59 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: DeSoya <nathan.doyl...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
> > emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
> > the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
> > predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
> > and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
> > option through windows?
>
> The init file is in your home directory.  Your home directory is
> either the one pointed to by the HOME environment variable (if you set
> that; Windows by default does not); or "C:\Documents and
> Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data".

Right. It should be in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME
\.emacs.d but it's not. In fact, there is no .el file modified in 2008
on my computer. There was nothing in .emacs.d except for some auto
saved buffers. I tried making a file named _emacs but the program is
still finding this phantom init file. I'm very confused.

* RE: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 17:06       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The init file is in your home directory.  Your home directory is
> either the one pointed to by the HOME environment variable (if you set
> that; Windows by default does not); or "C:\Documents and
> Settings\YOUR-USERNAME\Application Data".

That latter part actually depends on the Emacs version. That is the default
location for the current Emacs version. In some older versions, the default
location is C:\.

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 18:04         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-04-30 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DeSoya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

DeSoya wrote:
> On Apr 30, 10:46 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> DeSoya wrote:
>>> It seems as though my init.el file has disappeared. I can't open it in
>>> emacs due to the error from the bad coding system. I can't find
>>> the .el file using either cygwin or windows. I tried reinstalling but
>>> predictably that didn't work. Is there any way that I can either find
>>> and delete this init file or is there any way I can load using the -q
>>> option through windows? I'm not using the command line since my cygwin
>>> install doesn't seem to like the tar.gz file that I tried to use
>>> before giving up and getting the windows .zip.
>> Just start Emacs with
>>
>>    emacs -Q
>>
>> (note the uppercase Q). Then in Emacs do
>>
>>    C-x C-f ~/.emacs.d/init.el
>>
>> to try to open the file. Or you can do
>>
>>    M-: (file-truename "~/.emacs.d/init.el")
>>
>> to see where it is.
>
> I can't open the program using the command line for some reason. I
> tried the "emacs -q" command in both cygwin and dos and get the
> following error:
>
> ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
> $ emacs -q
> bash: emacs: command not found

Use the full path to emacs.exe. It looks like it in your case in cmd.exe
should:

   c:\emacs\emacs-22.1\bin\emacs -Q

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 19:26         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: DeSoya <nathan.doyle26@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
>
> ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
> $ emacs -q
> bash: emacs: command not found

Don't try that from the Cygwin shell prompt.  Instead, open a normal
Windows Command Prompt window, and do it from there.

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-04-30 19:27         ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]         ` <u3ap1eanm.fsf@earthlink.net>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-04-30 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: DeSoya <nathan.doyle26@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:04:03 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Right. It should be in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR-USERNAME
> \.emacs.d but it's not. In fact, there is no .el file modified in 2008
> on my computer. There was nothing in .emacs.d except for some auto
> saved buffers. I tried making a file named _emacs but the program is
> still finding this phantom init file. I'm very confused.

What does Emacs display if you type

  M-: (expand-file-name "~") RET

inside Emacs?

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-05-01  4:23         ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-05-01  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

DeSoya <nathan.doyle26@gmail.com> writes:

> I can't open the program using the command line for some reason. I
> tried the "emacs -q" command in both cygwin and dos and get the
> following error:
>
> ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
> $ emacs -q
> bash: emacs: command not found

You mentioned having installed from a *.zip file.  Where did it get
installed?

There should be an emacs or emacs-VERSION directory where the base
install was done.  So inside the emacs* directory you will find a
`bin' directory inside that is both an emacs.exe and runemacs.exe

On windows I think you need to execute runemacs.exe

From a cygwin window run the command using address where you emacs is
installed in place of MYBASE_INSTALL

 MYBASE_INSTALL/emacs/bin/runemacs.exe -Q

Should start your emacs with out loading any of your init files.

This won't find your missing file but at least you can use emacs.

To find the missing file ... from windows explorer right click your
C:\ drive and select `search' from the menu.

Insert the name of the init file.. it may take a while but will
probably find it unless you've installed on a different disk or
somehow moved the init to a different disk.

* Re: init file help
@ 2008-05-01  4:27           ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-05-01  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com writes:

>> ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
>> $ emacs -q
>> bash: emacs: command not found

I think I see what the trouble was.
You were in /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin?

So in that case you must indicate the path with `./'

./runemacs.exe -Q

* Re: init file help
       [not found]         ` <u3ap1eanm.fsf@earthlink.net>
@ 2008-05-02 10:44           ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]           ` <mailman.11078.1209725055.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-05-02 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Allan <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net>
> Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:51:09 -0500
>
> `_emacs' will work but if you want to create `.emacs' you have to
> enclose the file name in double quotation marks when saving the file
> on Windows.

No, that's not true.  Emacs does NOT require quotes for .emacs.  Only
the Windows explorer does.

* Re: init file help
       [not found]           ` <mailman.11078.1209725055.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-05-03  4:07             ` Allan
From: Allan @ 2008-05-03  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Allan <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net>
>> Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 20:51:09 -0500
>>
>> `_emacs' will work but if you want to create `.emacs' you have to
>> enclose the file name in double quotation marks when saving the file
>> on Windows.
>
> No, that's not true.  Emacs does NOT require quotes for .emacs.  Only
> the Windows explorer does.
Thanks, I did not know that. But as you mention, Notepad does require it.

--
Allan