all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting anti-aliased fonts in Windows XP
@ 2002-11-27  9:19 Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-11-27  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Im using Lucida and the fonts are not aliased.

Running Emacs 20.x and using the exact same font gives
me aliasing.  Id like to run 21.x with AA, anyone know how
to do this?

If not, is there a way to get the 9x15 font for Windows and use
it under Emacs?

* Re: Getting anti-aliased fonts in Windows XP
       [not found] <mailman.1038388400.8872.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-27 21:18 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-11-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam <amh@mwr.is> writes:

> Im using Lucida and the fonts are not aliased.
>
> Running Emacs 20.x and using the exact same font gives
> me aliasing.  Id like to run 21.x with AA, anyone know how
> to do this?

You can do this by changing ANTIALIASED_QUALITY on line 5625 of
w32fns.c to DEFAULT_QUALITY and recompile.

However, there is a serious bug in Microsoft's implementation of
subpixel anti-aliasing that shows up as bits of cursor left behind as
you move around your buffers when using some monospaced fonts
(especially on lines containing non Latin-1 characters, or fonts that
did not come with the OS; it seems that MS may have altered the
Latin-1 subsets of the fonts they ship with XP to avoid this bug).

Alternatively the CVS head has a workaround for the bug, but it is
not well tested enough to make it into 21.3, and I have seen some
weirdness with italic fonts.

> If not, is there a way to get the 9x15 font for Windows and use
> it under Emacs?

I think someone has ported this font to Windows. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ for pointers.