all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* directory name completion with the compile command
@ 2009-03-12 21:29 etay.meiri
From: etay.meiri @ 2009-03-12 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Usually when I run the 'compile' command I give it some form of the
following:

cd ~/where/my/project/is/located && make

Directory name completion does not work here so I have to actually the
full path.
Is it possible to get name completion working in this case?

Thanks,

-Etay Meiri

* Re: directory name completion with the compile command
@ 2009-03-12 21:59 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-12 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: etay.meiri; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.03.2009 um 22:29 schrieb etay.meiri@gmail.com:

> Is it possible to get name completion working in this case?

Yes, indirectly. First cd to that directory or a file from that
directory or the directory itself in dired-mode ...

You just need to become more clever than GNU Emacs! It's just a piece
of software.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.

* Re: directory name completion with the compile command
@ 2009-03-13  2:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.3097.1237105288.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-03-13  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

etay.meiri@gmail.com wrote:
> Usually when I run the 'compile' command I give it some form of the
> following:
>
> cd ~/where/my/project/is/located && make
>
> Directory name completion does not work here so I have to actually the
> full path.
> Is it possible to get name completion working in this case?

It's not perfect, but this provides file name completion on the F7
function key:

(require 'comint) ; comint-dynamic-complete-filename

(define-key minibuffer-local-map (kbd "<f7>")
'comint-dynamic-complete-filename)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: directory name completion with the compile command
@ 2009-03-13  9:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3097.1237105288.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-03-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: etay.meiri@gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Usually when I run the 'compile' command I give it some form of the
> following:
>
> cd ~/where/my/project/is/located && make
>
> Directory name completion does not work here so I have to actually the
> full path.
> Is it possible to get name completion working in this case?

In Emacs 23, to be released in a (hopefully) short while, completion
does work when you type the command at "M-x compile"s prompt.

@ 2009-03-15 19:54   ` etay.meiri
From: etay.meiri @ 2009-03-15 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 13, 11:29 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: etay.me...@gmail.com
> > Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > Usually when I run the 'compile' command I give it some form of the
> > following:
>
> > cd ~/where/my/project/is/located && make
>
> > Directory name completion does not work here so I have to actually the
> > full path.
> > Is it possible to get name completion working in this case?
>
> In Emacs 23, to be released in a (hopefully) short while, completion
> does work when you type the command at "M-x compile"s prompt.

Thanks, I tried this in 23.0.90.1 and indeed it works.

-Etay