all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs from sources on redhat test fedora setup
@ 2003-10-30 14:51 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-10-30 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reprint from Fedora test list:

NOTE: Fedora is a test release of redhat linux.

  Setup: fedora t3 updated to 10/28
  (athlon-tbird (1.3gh)

  I remember seeing some mention of emacs problems awhile ago here.
  Trying to compile emacs from cvs sources fails with these error
  messages:

    [root@exp emacs]# ./configure
    checking for gcc... gcc

    checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
    cannot create executables

    See `config.log' for more details.

    Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Anyone here on emacs group know what might be causing above?

* Re: emacs from sources on redhat test fedora setup
@ 2003-10-30 16:20 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-10-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     [root@exp emacs]# ./configure
>     checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>     checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>     checking for gcc... gcc

Yikes... that was because gcc wasn't installed.

But now with the compiler in place it segfaults at the dumping stage
of `make bootstrap'
[...]
  Finding pointers to doc strings...
  Finding pointers to doc strings...done
  Dumping under names emacs and emacs-21.3.50
  make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/emacs/src'
  make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

* Re: emacs from sources on redhat test fedora setup
@ 2003-10-30 17:33   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-30 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Harry> But now with the compiler in place it segfaults at the
    Harry> dumping stage of `make bootstrap' [...]  Finding pointers
    Harry> to doc strings...  Finding pointers to doc strings...done
    Harry> Dumping under names emacs and emacs-21.3.50 make[1]: ***
    Harry> [bootstrap-emacs] Segmentation fault make[1]: Leaving
    Harry> directory `/usr/local/src/cvs/emacs/src' make: ***
    Harry> [bootstrap] Error 2

Check out gmane.emacs.devel for: Unable to bootstrap GNU Emacs 21.3 (SOLVED)

    DavidPonce> Exec-shield functionality is available only to
    DavidPonce> binaries that have been built (and marked) using the
    DavidPonce> toolchain (compiler, assembler, linker) available with
    DavidPonce> Fedora [...]"

    RMS> those words are disturbing.  what toolchain is this?  is it a
    RMS> version of gcc?  is it free sw?

    DavidPonce> The problem is that Exec-shield enables a different
    DavidPonce> memory layout that breaks the emacs dumper.