all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font-lock-comment-face not working in latest CVS
@ 2004-01-27 23:42 Kenneth Rose
From: Kenneth Rose @ 2004-01-27 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all,

I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS X.
When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:

( set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "cyan" )

in my .emacs.  It was complaining that font-lock-comment-face wasn't a
valid face.  However, if I opened my .emacs and evaluated the entire
buffer (this is an option in the menu), the buffer evaluated fine and
comments were in cyan.  What's more, doing 'M-x set-face-foreground' and
using tab completion showed me that font-lock-comment-face was a valid face.

I fixed it by putting the change into a custom-set-faces

( custom-set-faces
    '(font-lock-comment-face       ((t (:foreground "cyan"))))
)

Does anyone know why my calls to set-face-foreground were causing errors?

Thanks.

/<en

* Re: font-lock-comment-face not working in latest CVS
@ 2004-01-28  6:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1487.1075272863.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-01-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Kenneth Rose <kenrose@rogers.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:42:07 GMT
>
> I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS X.
> When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:
>
> ( set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "cyan" )
>
> in my .emacs.  It was complaining that font-lock-comment-face wasn't a
> valid face.  However, if I opened my .emacs and evaluated the entire
> buffer (this is an option in the menu), the buffer evaluated fine and
> comments were in cyan.  What's more, doing 'M-x set-face-foreground' and
> using tab completion showed me that font-lock-comment-face was a valid face.

The problem here is that font-lock-comment-face does not yet exist at
the point where set-face-foreground line from your .emacs is
evaluated.

The usual method to overcome that is to create the face with a call
to make-face just before that line.  Alternatively, figure out what
part of your .emacs causes font-lock to be loaded, and place the
set-face-foreground line after that.

@ 2004-01-29  7:51   ` Kenneth Rose
From: Kenneth Rose @ 2004-01-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>From: Kenneth Rose <kenrose@rogers.com>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:42:07 GMT
>>
>>I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS X.
>>When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:
>>
>>( set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "cyan" )
>>
>>in my .emacs.  It was complaining that font-lock-comment-face wasn't a
>>valid face.  However, if I opened my .emacs and evaluated the entire
>>buffer (this is an option in the menu), the buffer evaluated fine and
>>comments were in cyan.  What's more, doing 'M-x set-face-foreground' and
>>using tab completion showed me that font-lock-comment-face was a valid face.
>

> The problem here is that font-lock-comment-face does not yet exist at
> the point where set-face-foreground line from your .emacs is
> evaluated.
>
> The usual method to overcome that is to create the face with a call
> to make-face just before that line.  Alternatively, figure out what
> part of your .emacs causes font-lock to be loaded, and place the
> set-face-foreground line after that.

Hmmm... the calls to set-face-foreground were made after a call to
(global-font-lock-mode t) (which is where I believe
font-lock-comment-face gets set).  What's more, this .emacs works in
21.3 (on my GNU/Linux machine).  It's only after building emacs from CVS
to run on Mac OS X did the complaining start (version from CVS says
21.3.50.1).

Todah.

@ 2004-01-29 16:48     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-01-29 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS
>>> X. When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:

Please M-x report-emacs-bug so it goes to the proper place.

> Hmmm... the calls to set-face-foreground were made after a call to
> (global-font-lock-mode t) (which is where I believe font-lock-comment-face
> gets set).  What's more, this .emacs works in 21.3 (on my GNU/Linux
> machine).  It's only after building emacs from CVS to run on Mac OS X did
> the complaining start (version from CVS says 21.3.50.1).

The problem is that in Emacs-CVS, calling global-font-lock-mode does not
load font-lock.el any more.  That could be considered as a bug in
Emacs-CVS indeed.

@ 2004-01-31 20:32 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-31 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Rose <kenrose@rogers.com> writes:

> I downloaded the latest CVS sources and built emacs 21 for Mac OS
> X. When I loaded emacs, it started complaining because I had the line:
>
> ( set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "cyan" )
>
> in my .emacs.  It was complaining that font-lock-comment-face wasn't a
> valid face.

Put (require 'font-lock) before that line.

Kai