all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-s, then yank / cua-paste
@ 2005-06-15 13:50 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-06-15 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

A lot of times I need to search for a string that I have just moved
to the kill-ring (or, in my case, actually just the clipboard).
So what I do is C-s, C-y, or C-s, H-v, where H-v is mapped to cua-
paste. Neither variant gives me the expected result.

Why can I not paste something into the minibuffer?
Can I enable this somehow?

Thanks.

* Re: C-s, then yank / cua-paste
       [not found] <mailman.58.1118843897.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-15 14:37 ` Harald Joerg
From: Harald Joerg @ 2005-06-15 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> A lot of times I need to search for a string that I have just moved
> to the kill-ring (or, in my case, actually just the clipboard).
> So what I do is C-s, C-y, or C-s, H-v, where H-v is mapped to cua-
> paste. Neither variant gives me the expected result.
>
> Why can I not paste something into the minibuffer?
> Can I enable this somehow?

Try   C-s <RET> C-y   or   C-s M-y

C-s is usually bound to isearch-forward, which has its own mode map
for non-printing characters like C-y (C-h k C-s for details).
--
HTH,
haj

* Re: C-s, then yank / cua-paste
@ 2005-06-15 14:41 ` Martin Steer
From: Martin Steer @ 2005-06-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> A lot of times I need to search for a string that I have just moved
> to the kill-ring (or, in my case, actually just the clipboard).
> So what I do is C-s, C-y, or C-s, H-v, where H-v is mapped to cua-
> paste. Neither variant gives me the expected result.
>
> Why can I not paste something into the minibuffer?

M-y yanks the last killed item onto the end of the search string. Is
that what you're looking for?

--
Martin

* RE: C-s, then yank / cua-paste
@ 2005-06-15 14:43 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-06-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    A lot of times I need to search for a string that I have just moved
    to the kill-ring (or, in my case, actually just the clipboard).
    So what I do is C-s, C-y, or C-s, H-v, where H-v is mapped to cua-
    paste. Neither variant gives me the expected result.

    Why can I not paste something into the minibuffer?
    Can I enable this somehow?

C-h c C-s -> C-s runs the command isearch-forward

C-h f RET isearch-forward RET

isearch-forward is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `isearch'.

 ... <lots of interesting stuff deleted>...

Type M-y to yank last killed text onto end of search string and search for
it.

* Re: C-s, then yank / cua-paste
@ 2005-06-16 11:49 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-06-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> M-y yanks the last killed item onto the end of the search string. Is
> that what you're looking for?

Thanks, that works indeed.
I use cua-mode, however, and I have H-v bound to cua-paste.

Cua-paste, however, doesn't paste into the minibuffer. And since I
want to use the interapplication clipboard for this, I need to go
through cua-paste.

Any ideas?

- D

* Re: C-s, then yank / cua-paste
       [not found] <mailman.193.1118923735.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-16 21:59 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-06-16 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Cua-paste, however, doesn't paste into the minibuffer. And since I
> want to use the interapplication clipboard for this, I need to go
> through cua-paste.

You'll need to add that mapping to isearch-mode-map. Unlike most
keymaps, it does not inherit from global-map.