all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs manual: codepage-setup vs language environ
@ 2005-08-03 23:39 Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2005-08-03 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2005-03-18 on trouble, modified by Debian
configured using `configure '--build=i386-linux' '--host=i386-linux' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'build_alias=i386-linux' 'host_alias=i386-linux''
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_AU
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

The "MS-DOS and MULE" node in the emacs manual says

	Since the codepage number also indicates which script you are
	using, Emacs automatically runs `set-language-environment' to
	select the language environment for that script (*note
	Language Environments::).

When I first read that I thought it applied to both the M-x
dos-codepage-setup and M-x codepage-setup commands shown at the start
of that section, whereas if I'm not mistaken it's only the former.

I think that node could be clearer if the description of how codepages
are handled with emacs coding systems (and how you need M-x
codepage-setup) was separated from the bits about what happens in
emacs actually running on DOS.  The coding systems bits would apply to
all systems, if I'm not mistaken.

* Re: emacs manual: codepage-setup vs language environ
@ 2005-08-04  3:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-04  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> From: Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au>
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:39:35 +1000
>
> 	Since the codepage number also indicates which script you are
> 	using, Emacs automatically runs `set-language-environment' to
> 	select the language environment for that script (*note
> 	Language Environments::).
>
> When I first read that I thought it applied to both the M-x
> dos-codepage-setup and M-x codepage-setup commands shown at the start
> of that section, whereas if I'm not mistaken it's only the former.

Actually, it applies to the Emacs startup on MS-DOS.

> I think that node could be clearer if the description of how codepages
> are handled with emacs coding systems (and how you need M-x
> codepage-setup) was separated from the bits about what happens in
> emacs actually running on DOS.

The node you quoted is from an appendix that describes the MS-DOS port
of Emacs, which uses codepage.el.  On other systems, Emacs uses a
different implementation of code pages, the one from code-pages.el.
That package is simply not documented; if we want to document the code
page facilities on systems other than MS-DOS, that information should
be added somewhere else in the manual, not in the DOS appendix, IMHO.

* Re: emacs manual: codepage-setup vs language environ
@ 2005-08-06  1:30   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2005-08-06  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> The node you quoted is from an appendix that describes the MS-DOS port
> of Emacs, which uses codepage.el.

Ahh, I didn't spot that.  Yes, the heading is "on MS-DOS", but I was
there to find out about codepages.  The "Coding Systems" node points
to "MS-DOS and MULE" for codepages, maybe it shouldn't if that's
supposed to be dos specific.

For the cvs head, maybe the pointer in "Coding Systems" can be
dropped, and if M-x codepage-setup is only needed on DOS then maybe
that could be said in "MS-DOS and MULE", to avoid confusion.

* Re: emacs manual: codepage-setup vs language environ
@ 2005-08-06  7:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-08-06  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:30:36 +1000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > The node you quoted is from an appendix that describes the MS-DOS port
> > of Emacs, which uses codepage.el.
>
> Ahh, I didn't spot that.  Yes, the heading is "on MS-DOS", but I was
> there to find out about codepages.  The "Coding Systems" node points
> to "MS-DOS and MULE" for codepages, maybe it shouldn't if that's
> supposed to be dos specific.
>
> For the cvs head, maybe the pointer in "Coding Systems" can be
> dropped, and if M-x codepage-setup is only needed on DOS then maybe
> that could be said in "MS-DOS and MULE", to avoid confusion.

I did the latter.  I don't think it's a good idea to drop the index
entry for "Coding Systems", as long as the MS-DOS port is supported.