all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to move minibuffer to top?
@ 2006-01-26  8:17 Skull
From: Skull @ 2006-01-26  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to move minibuffer to the top of frame?
I have googled and found nothing interesting.

I use emacs22 on WindowXP.

Thanks in advance.

- skull

* Re: How to move minibuffer to top?
@ 2006-01-26 16:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-01-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is there any way to move minibuffer to the top of frame?

Not that I know.
But you can create a separate minibuffer-only frame and then remove the
minibuffer from all other frames (as was done in the Epoch editor).
You can then place this minibuffer-only frame at the top of your display (I
have mine at the bottom).

A starting point is

  (setq default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)))

-- Stefan

* RE: How to move minibuffer to top?
@ 2006-01-26 16:42 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-01-26 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Is there any way to move minibuffer to the top of frame?
    I have googled and found nothing interesting.

If you don't care to have a minibuffer in each frame, you can use a separate
minibuffer frame (it acts as the minibuffer for all frames). You can
position this standalone minibuffer frame wherever you want. (I have it at
the bottom of my display, extended it for the full display width.)

As an example, see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/oneonone.el
(description is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs).
See, for instance, option `1on1-minibuffer-frame-top/bottom':

  Position of top (or bottom) of minibuffer frame, in pixels.
  If nil, function `1on1-set-minibuffer-frame-top/bottom' will position
  minibuffer at bottom of display.

  An integer.  If negative, then the position is that of the frame
  bottom relative to the screen bottom.

Otherwise, without a standalone minibuffer frame, I don't believe there is a
way to place the minibuffer at the top of each frame.

* Re: How to move minibuffer to top?
       [not found] <mailman.235.1138294101.2878.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-27  3:41 ` Skull
From: Skull @ 2006-01-27  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Is there any way to move minibuffer to the top of frame?
>     I have googled and found nothing interesting.
>
> If you don't care to have a minibuffer in each frame, you can use a separate
> minibuffer frame (it acts as the minibuffer for all frames). You can
> position this standalone minibuffer frame wherever you want. (I have it at
> the bottom of my display, extended it for the full display width.)
>
> As an example, see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/oneonone.el
> (description is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs).
> See, for instance, option `1on1-minibuffer-frame-top/bottom':
>
>   Position of top (or bottom) of minibuffer frame, in pixels.
>   If nil, function `1on1-set-minibuffer-frame-top/bottom' will position
>   minibuffer at bottom of display.
>
>   An integer.  If negative, then the position is that of the frame
>   bottom relative to the screen bottom.
>
> Otherwise, without a standalone minibuffer frame, I don't believe there is a
> way to place the minibuffer at the top of each frame.

Drew, thanks for your reply. I am afraid oneonone mode is not suit for
me, I dislike to make minibuffer as another frame, It disturbs me when
I alt-tab to another app.

- Skull