all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#14854: A typo, IMHO
@ 2013-07-12 16:37 Michael Dan Mossinsohn
From: Michael Dan Mossinsohn @ 2013-07-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14854

Hello there

While using the emacs help system I noticed the line:
"Describe key (or click or menu item):"
Which appears while using C-h k or C-h k.

I guess the "or menu item" was supposed to be 'on menu item' or maybe 'on a
menu item'.

Thank you for everything!

*Michael
*
*ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ ლ(ಠᴥಠ)*

[image: Charity: Water] <http://bit.ly/charity-water-site>
Donate<http://bit.ly/donate-charity-water>| Share
on Facebook <http://on.fb.me/lDltTW> | Share on
Twitter<http://bit.ly/Tweet-charitywater> Add
this to your emails<http://www.wisestamp.com/apps/causeWater?utm_source=extension&utm_medium=email&utm_term=causeWater&utm_campaign=apps>
 Create your free signature:
<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=33&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_33>
CLICK
HERE!<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=33&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_33>
​

* bug#14854: A typo, IMHO
@ 2013-07-12 17:44 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-07-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dan Mossinsohn; +Cc: 14854

Michael Dan Mossinsohn wrote:

> While using the emacs help system I noticed the line:
> "Describe key (or click or menu item):"
> Which appears while using C-h k or C-h k.
>
> I guess the "or menu item" was supposed to be 'on menu item' or maybe 'on a
> menu item'.

I think it means: you can describe either a key-press, or a mouse-click,
or a menu-item. The latter is accessed by a mouse-click, but I guess the
wording tries to inform people that they _can_ get a description of a
menu-item, which might not otherwise be apparent.

* bug#14854: A typo, IMHO
@ 2014-02-01  7:43   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-02-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 14854, Michael Dan Mossinsohn

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Michael Dan Mossinsohn wrote:
>
>> While using the emacs help system I noticed the line:
>> "Describe key (or click or menu item):"
>> Which appears while using C-h k or C-h k.
>>
>> I guess the "or menu item" was supposed to be 'on menu item' or maybe 'on a
>> menu item'.
>
> I think it means: you can describe either a key-press, or a mouse-click,
> or a menu-item. The latter is accessed by a mouse-click, but I guess the
> wording tries to inform people that they _can_ get a description of a
> menu-item, which might not otherwise be apparent.

I've always found that wording to be pretty opaque.

How about something like

Say what command a key stroke, a mouse click, or a menu item calls:

Or

Describe the following key, mouse click, or menu item:

* bug#14854: A typo, IMHO
@ 2016-03-04 14:09     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-03-04 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 14854, Michael Dan Mossinsohn

> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Michael Dan Mossinsohn wrote:
>>
>>> While using the emacs help system I noticed the line:
>>> "Describe key (or click or menu item):"
>>> Which appears while using C-h k or C-h k.
>>>
>>> I guess the "or menu item" was supposed to be 'on menu item' or maybe 'on a
>>> menu item'.
>>
>> I think it means: you can describe either a key-press, or a mouse-click,
>> or a menu-item. The latter is accessed by a mouse-click, but I guess the
>> wording tries to inform people that they _can_ get a description of a
>> menu-item, which might not otherwise be apparent.
>
> I've always found that wording to be pretty opaque.
>
> How about something like
>
> Say what command a key stroke, a mouse click, or a menu item calls:
>
> Or
>
> Describe the following key, mouse click, or menu item:

I've now made this change on the trunk.