all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hp-ux 11.11 lib-src/Makefile cp fails due to identical files
@ 2007-08-10 14:04 Philippe Waroquiers
From: Philippe Waroquiers @ 2007-08-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

When configuring emacs on hp-ux 11.11, the result cannot be build
with the hp make, while it can be built with the gnu make.
The problem is caused by lib-src/Makefile.
There are a set of lines such as:
rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
	cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log
If for these lines, the target rcs2log and the source $(srcdir)/rcs2log
are the same, the hp make will still launch the command, that
will fail with the below error message:

cp: /auto/home/wao/no_backup/brol/emacs_with_optim/emacs-22.1/lib-src/rcs2log and rcs2log are identical
*** Error exit code 1

With the gnu make, it works properly (I guess that the gnu make is slightly
more intelligent than the hp make :).

--
Philippe WAROQUIERS                  Eurocontrol - Central Flow Management Unit
philippe.waroquiers@eurocontrol.int  Rue de la fusee, 96

This message and any files transmitted with it are legally privileged and intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Any unauthorised use or disclosure of the content of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual or legal commitment on the part of EUROCONTROL, unless it is confirmed by appropriately signed hard copy.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender.

* Re: hp-ux 11.11 lib-src/Makefile cp fails due to identical files
@ 2007-08-10 14:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-10 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: philippe.waroquiers; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:04:32 +0200 (METDST)
> From: Philippe Waroquiers <wao@cfmu.eurocontrol.int>
>
> When configuring emacs on hp-ux 11.11, the result cannot be build
> with the hp make, while it can be built with the gnu make.
> The problem is caused by lib-src/Makefile.
> There are a set of lines such as:
> rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
> 	cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log
> If for these lines, the target rcs2log and the source $(srcdir)/rcs2log
> are the same, the hp make will still launch the command, that
> will fail with the below error message:
>
> cp: /auto/home/wao/no_backup/brol/emacs_with_optim/emacs-22.1/lib-src/rcs2log and rcs2log are identical
> *** Error exit code 1

Thank you for your report.

Does it help to prepend "-" to the offending command, i.e.

 rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
 	-cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log

* RE: hp-ux 11.11 lib-src/Makefile cp fails due to identical files
@ 2007-08-10 15:06   ` WAROQUIERS Philippe
From: WAROQUIERS Philippe @ 2007-08-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

>Does it help to prepend "-" to the offending command, i.e.
>
> rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
> 	-cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log
When I put the -, then the command still fails,
but the make output tells the exit code 1 is ignored
(which is the expected result of the -).

Of course, it stops then on the next cp command with
similar problem (e.g. vcdiff and others have the same
problem).

Thanks

____

@ 2007-08-10 16:47     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WAROQUIERS Philippe; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:06:23 +0200
> From: "WAROQUIERS Philippe" <philippe.waroquiers@eurocontrol.int>
> Cc: <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> >Does it help to prepend "-" to the offending command, i.e.
> >
> > rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
> > 	-cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log
> When I put the -, then the command still fails,
> but the make output tells the exit code 1 is ignored

And that's okay, since in this particular case the file rcs2log
already exists in that directory.

> Of course, it stops then on the next cp command with
> similar problem (e.g. vcdiff and others have the same
> problem).

Well, they all should use this technique.

Thanks for testing this.

* Re: hp-ux 11.11 lib-src/Makefile cp fails due to identical files
@ 2007-08-25 11:00     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-25 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WAROQUIERS Philippe; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:06:23 +0200
> From: "WAROQUIERS Philippe" <philippe.waroquiers@eurocontrol.int>
> Cc: <bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> >Does it help to prepend "-" to the offending command, i.e.
> >
> > rcs2log: $(srcdir)/rcs2log
> > 	-cp -p $(srcdir)/rcs2log rcs2log
> When I put the -, then the command still fails,
> but the make output tells the exit code 1 is ignored
> (which is the expected result of the -).
>
> Of course, it stops then on the next cp command with
> similar problem (e.g. vcdiff and others have the same
> problem).

Thanks, I fixed all those targets.