all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 16:46 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-17 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Suppose we wanted to set up a wiki on our server.  Suppose that some
of us are Emacs users.  Is there a wiki that's easy to use from Emacs?

(IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
and then publish them.  But there is no way for fetching the files to
edit from the server.  Maybe I'm wrong.)

PS: Actually, I don't quite understand all this web craziness.  Why
    not just put some files in a CVS repository?  That's not more
    difficult to access than web, once you have a working directory.
    And you always have a local copy.  Gah :-(  </rant>
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 17:10 ` Bruce Ingalls
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-01-17 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> (IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
Don't know the answer, but there is more than one Wiki mode for Emacs,
although the 2 I know of, one is a fork of the other.

> PS: Actually, I don't quite understand all this web craziness.  Why
The purpose of the web is to turn over technology as fast as you can, so
that investors are bled dry, before they understand what that new jargon
means. :D

>     not just put some files in a CVS repository?  That's not more
>     difficult to access than web, once you have a working directory.
>     And you always have a local copy.  Gah :-(  </rant>

I actually do this with http://emacro.sf.net/ (see resources to download
Wiki)
I see 2 disadvantages:
1) SourceForge's cvs server seems to be often down these days, disabling
much of the EMacro site. Perhaps Wiki presents a lighter, more stable load?

2) All contributers must have CVS accounts (which may be a good thing)
Not requiring an account or trivial account setup is convenient, and
encourages participation.

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 17:43 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2003-01-17 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
> and then publish them.  But there is no way for fetching the files
> to edit from the server.  Maybe I'm wrong.)

If the wiki project is referenced via a tramp path, it should work
by fetching/storing.  Come on, Kai, you're the Tramp author!  :)

John

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 18:21   ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-01-17 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Wiegley wrote:
> If the wiki project is referenced via a tramp path, it should work
> by fetching/storing.  Come on, Kai, you're the Tramp author!  :)

Now that you mention it, here is a WebDAV module for Emacs.
WebDAV is a *standard* for just this sort of thing.

http://www.gohome.org/eldav/

Other editors also have WebDAV plugins, and Linux has DAVfs.
Nobody else has TRAMP ;)

Oh: One more disadvantage of a CVS controlled web: may be harder to
index with a search engine.

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 18:26 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-01-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Suppose we wanted to set up a wiki on our server.  Suppose that some
> of us are Emacs users.  Is there a wiki that's easy to use from
> Emacs?

I believe there are several Wiki modes for Emacs.  The main problem (I
think) is that there are multiple types of Wikis around and, so, there
might be a standards problem.

> (IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
> and then publish them.  But there is no way for fetching the files to
> edit from the server.  Maybe I'm wrong.)

John Wiegley may have an add-on (httpd-serve?) to his emacs-wiki.el
mode for this.  There may be other ways as well.

> PS: Actually, I don't quite understand all this web craziness.  Why
>     not just put some files in a CVS repository?  That's not more
>     difficult to access than web, once you have a working directory.
>     And you always have a local copy.  Gah :-(  </rant>

See the features list at twiki.org.  You should also look at
emacswiki.org.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
@ 2003-01-17 18:29   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-01-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (IIUC, the wiki mode in Emacs is not server based.  You edit files
>> and then publish them.  But there is no way for fetching the files
>> to edit from the server.  Maybe I'm wrong.)

> If the wiki project is referenced via a tramp path, it should work
> by fetching/storing.  Come on, Kai, you're the Tramp author!  :)

But doesn't that assume that the Wiki stores its pages in readable
form?  Don't (most?) all Wikis store their pages in some sort of
revision form (a la RCS)?

--

@ 2003-01-17 19:07   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2003-01-17 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John Wiegley may have an add-on (httpd-serve?) to his emacs-wiki.el
> mode for this.  There may be other ways as well.

There is such an add-on, but it hasn't been very thoroughly tested
in regard to group editing of pages.

John

* Re: Use wiki from Emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-17 19:20 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2003-01-17 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Suppose we wanted to set up a wiki on our server. Suppose that
> some of us are Emacs users. Is there a wiki that's easy to use
> from Emacs?

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SimpleWikiEditMode
for stuff on this. UseMod Wiki plus the RawMode patch should do
the trick!

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor