all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29  8:12 Sapient Fridge
From: Sapient Fridge @ 2003-10-29  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone found a way to get Emacs working in Mandrake so that you can
copy and paste text into Mozilla?

I end up pasting text between the two quite a lot because I run an
anti-spam site that tracks spamware web pages.  Not being able to paste
from Emacs to Mozilla is a real problem.

I've tried running up Xemacs and I can paste from it but unfortunately
it not only doesn't understand some of my .emacs settings (e.g.
set-background-color) it deletes the bloody file when it starts up!

I'm running Mozilla 1.5 and Emacs 21.3.1 on Mandrake 9.1
--
sapient.fridge@spamsites.org  ICQ #17887309        *  Save the net   *
Grok: http://spam.abuse.net   http://www.cauce.org * kill a spamhaus *

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 11:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-10-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Sapient Fridge <sapient.fridge@example.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake, gnu.emacs.help,	netscape.public.mozilla.general
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:12:16 +0000
>
> Has anyone found a way to get Emacs working in Mandrake so that you can
> copy and paste text into Mozilla?

What exactly happens if you try?

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 13:36   ` Adam Hardy
From: Adam Hardy @ 2003-10-29 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry, meant to send this to the list.

On 10/29/2003 12:30 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote:
 >>Has anyone found a way to get Emacs working in Mandrake so that you can
 >>copy and paste text into Mozilla?
 >

 > What exactly happens if you try?

Klipper will paste mouse-highlighted text from Mozilla into emacs.

However Mozilla ctrl-v or ctrl-insert will paste whatever Mozilla has in
its own cut & paste cache.

If you go into Klipper menu when Mozilla is the uppermost program, then
clicking on the Klipper cache will put that into the Mozilla cache, and
then a ctrl-v will work.

I think it's a Mozilla problem.

Adam

--
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 14:02 ` Matt Haley
From: Matt Haley @ 2003-10-29 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I built emacs from source on MDK 9.1 and it copies and pastes just
fine. Granted, I have a 2.4 GHz and 512MB of RAM, but compiling emacs
only took about 1 minute. It seems to be mostly elisp.

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 15:55 ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-10-29 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone found a way to get Emacs working in Mandrake so that you can
> copy and paste text into Mozilla?
> I'm running Mozilla 1.5 and Emacs 21.3.1 on Mandrake 9.1

I have a very similar setup. I run Emacs 21.3 on Mandrake 9.0. Don't
know which Mozilla version, maybe 1.4.

I use M-w (kill-ring-save) and it works even if I start using "emacs
-q" to exclude any stuff I might have in my .emacs.

After that I navigate to Mozilla and use middle mouse button to paste.
Don't remember if C-v works.

/Mathias

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-29 16:16 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I run 9.2 and have the same problem -- and have since 9.0.  For whatever
reason Emacs can accept pastes from X but can't send pastes to X.  But
it's a common problem.  Try cutting and pasting from gAIM to mozilla.
Won't work.  Of course, this may be because I use KDE and not Gnome.  Oh
well.

-Dan

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 16:51   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2003-10-29 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Sapient Fridge

--text follows this line--
DA> I run 9.2 and have the same problem -- and have since 9.0.  For whatever
DA> reason Emacs can accept pastes from X but can't send pastes to X.

That's  strange. I don't  remember Emacs  having this  behaviour under
Solaris +  openwindows and it  has not this behaviour  under GNU/Linux
with XFree86...

 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________
  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-29 16:55     ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Sapient Fridge

I was actually thinking that it might be a result of Klipper -- the KDE
klipboard.  It's supposed to be helpful but can end up screwing things
up.  Then again, maybe there's just something missing from my .emacs.

-Dan

@ 2003-10-29 17:40   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-10-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: brakjoller@hotmail.com (Barman Brakjoller)
> Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake, gnu.emacs.help,	netscape.public.mozilla.general
> Date: 29 Oct 2003 07:55:13 -0800
>
> > Has anyone found a way to get Emacs working in Mandrake so that you can
> > copy and paste text into Mozilla?
> > I'm running Mozilla 1.5 and Emacs 21.3.1 on Mandrake 9.1
>
> I have a very similar setup. I run Emacs 21.3 on Mandrake 9.0. Don't
> know which Mozilla version, maybe 1.4.
>
> I use M-w (kill-ring-save) and it works even if I start using "emacs
> -q" to exclude any stuff I might have in my .emacs.

Maybe the key to the success is to kill Klipper?

* Re: Pasting from Emacs to Mozilla in Mandrake
@ 2003-10-30 12:59   ` Sapient Fridge
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2822.1067528120.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sapient Fridge @ 2003-10-30 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <1c58a7c3.0310290755.661b92f3@posting.google.com>, Barman
Brakjoller <brakjoller@hotmail.com> writes
 > After that I navigate to Mozilla and use middle mouse button to paste.
 > Don't remember if C-v works.

The middle mouse button has no effect for me, interestingly I can cut
from one EMACS and yank the text into another using the keyboard so it's
putting the text into the clipboard no problem.  This only works between
EMACS's though, it doesn't work for Mozilla.

Interestingly enough the middle mouse button doesn't appear to do
anything in *any* of the Linux applications and the wheel has no effect.
I know it works though because I've got it plugged into a kvm switch box
and it works fine in windows.

Is there something I have to do to enable the middle mouse button in
Mandrake?  The mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.
--

@ 2003-10-30 13:00   ` Sapient Fridge
From: Sapient Fridge @ 2003-10-30 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <m2d6cgta5h.fsf@mdk.distraction.ath.cx>, Matt Haley
<matt@mdk.distraction.ath.cx> writes

>I built emacs from source on MDK 9.1 and it copies and pastes just
>fine. Granted, I have a 2.4 GHz and 512MB of RAM, but compiling emacs
>only took about 1 minute. It seems to be mostly elisp.

I tried that, no joy :-(
--

@ 2003-10-30 15:34     ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2822.1067528120.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-10-30 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

	In mandrake, during installation, you should have been asked to confirm
what kind of mouse you were using.  Then you got to test it out, hit all
the buttons, and confirm it's the right configuration.  (If you choose
the wrong one the mouse cursor does weird things -- like move to the
upper right corner no matter what direction you move the mouse).

	If you want to retry the mouse configuration wizard, go under the
mandrake control center, under hardware, and click on MouseDrake.  Or,
if you are on a box without X, type # drakconf as root to bring up the
text based version of drakconf.

	If you get everything working, you are going to need to grab some LISP
for your .emacs to get the middle mouse button to scroll in emacs.  I
use:

;; BEGIN LISP
;; The following is code I got off of the net which is used to
;; scroll the mouse wheel up or down by 2 lines.  Modify the
;; scroll-up or scroll-down to modify the number of scrolls..

(defun sd-mousewheel-scroll-up (event)
  "Scroll window under mouse up by two lines."
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((current-window (selected-window)))
    (unwind-protect
        (progn
          (select-window (posn-window (event-start event)))
          (scroll-up 2)) ;; change the 2 to change # scrolls
      (select-window current-window))))

(defun sd-mousewheel-scroll-down (event)
  "Scroll window under mouse down by two lines."
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((current-window (selected-window)))
    (unwind-protect
        (progn
          (select-window (posn-window (event-start event)))
          (scroll-down 2)) ;; change the 2 to change # scrolls
      (select-window current-window))))

(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-5>") 'sd-mousewheel-scroll-up)
(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-4>") 'sd-mousewheel-scroll-down)

;; END LISP

I have been told that there is an easier way to do scroll ups.  Perhaps
somebody else on the list can chip in.

-Dan

@ 2003-10-30 16:59       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-10-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 	If you get everything working, you are going to need to grab some LISP
> for your .emacs to get the middle mouse button to scroll in emacs.  I

All you need is (mouse-wheel-mode 1).