all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Start windows applications (.exe, .bat)  from .emacs
@ 2007-05-25 11:53 Will
From: Will @ 2007-05-25 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, there!

I'd like to start some windows applications which constitute my working
environment (e.g. firefox.exe or mysettings.bat) when I start emacs.
How can I do that using the regular MS Windows CMD-shell?
Is there also a way to set MS Windows environment variables in your
.emacs or the called .bat file?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Will

* Re: Start windows applications (.exe, .bat)  from .emacs
@ 2007-05-25 12:05 ` Ivan
From: Ivan @ 2007-05-25 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On петък, Май 25 2007, Will wrote:

> Hi, there!
>
> I'd like to start some windows applications which constitute my
> working environment (e.g. firefox.exe or mysettings.bat) when I start
> emacs.
> How can I do that using the regular MS Windows CMD-shell?
> Is there also a way to set MS Windows environment variables in your
> .emacs or the called .bat file?

You can execute executables this way:

(shell-command "path to executable")

It can do it synchronously or a-synchronously. Find more information
in the manual.

* Re: Start windows applications (.exe, .bat)  from .emacs
@ 2007-05-25 12:47 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-25 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Will wrote:
> Hi, there!
>
> I'd like to start some windows applications which constitute my working
> environment (e.g. firefox.exe or mysettings.bat) when I start emacs.
> How can I do that using the regular MS Windows CMD-shell?
> Is there also a way to set MS Windows environment variables in your
> .emacs or the called .bat file?

(w32-shell-execute "Open" "http://www.gnu.org/")

* Re: Start windows applications (.exe, .bat)  from .emacs
@ 2007-05-28 14:01 ` Will
From: Will @ 2007-05-28 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

Thanks for the comments sofar. However this command does not execute the
batch file:

(w32-shell-execute "open" "z:\00_Preferences\Emacs\emacsW32.bat")

----emacsW32.bat-------

ECHO "Emacs - Win32 Batch Execution File "

SET PATH=%PATH%; C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat; C:\Program
Files\Ghostgum\gsview;C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.56\bin;C:\Program
Files\Mozilla_Firefox;C:\Program Files\SAS\SAS 9.1;C:\Program
Files\Tinn-R\bin
start thunderbird.exe
start firefox.exe
start explorer.exe

----emacsW32.bat-------

On the other side, I can start the batch file with C-x d RET ! when I am
in dired.

What do I do wrong?

Thanks for advice,

Will