all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-26 17:50 Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-11-26 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs has the option of having different buffers appear in different
windows(frames) or in same window(frame) all at same time.

I like M$ Office's idea of having NAMES of files visible at bottom of
window like a folder tab.  If you want to switch buffers you just
have to mouse click on file name desired.

Is it possible to do something like this in Emacs?

Chris

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-26 18:12 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-11-26 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Seberino wrote:

> I like M$ Office's idea of having NAMES of files visible at bottom of
> window like a folder tab.

You can get tab-mode.el and other useful tools from EMacro Libs, at
<url: http://emacro.sourceforge.net/ >

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-26 18:20 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-11-26 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:
> Emacs has the option of having different buffers appear in different
> windows(frames) or in same window(frame) all at same time.
>
> I like M$ Office's idea of having NAMES of files visible at bottom of
> window like a folder tab.  If you want to switch buffers you just
> have to mouse click on file name desired.
>
> Is it possible to do something like this in Emacs?

The closest I can think of is

	M-x speedbar

and then Displays - Buffers

I usually use it to display files, where you can then tree down into
source code functions.

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-26 20:38 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-11-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Nov 2003, seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:

> I like M$ Office's idea of having NAMES of files visible at
> bottom of window like a folder tab.  If you want to switch
> buffers you just have to mouse click on file name desired.
>
> Is it possible to do something like this in Emacs?

Its a bit too cumbersome to have this happen with Emacs, because
Emacs allows one to open up as many files as one could want.
There isn't a scalability issue that one finds with Window's view
of how things operate.  One thing I used to use, when I was
looking for that type of functionality though, was

        Ctrl-LeftClick, or to be more emacs precise,
        C-down-mouse-1

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-28 20:01   ` Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-11-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce

Thanks for info.  EMacro appears to be a tool to design different
.emacs files easily. Is that right?
Is tab-mode.el only found in EMacro
or is it part of Emacs itself already?

Chris

@ 2003-11-28 20:03   ` Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-11-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold

Thanks!
Speedbar lots very nice!  It lets you jump between
different files quickly.  What
did you mean by "Displays - Buffers"?? IS that
a speedbar setting?

Chris

@ 2003-11-28 20:13   ` Christian Seberino
From: Christian Seberino @ 2003-11-28 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Galen

Thanks,  This looks very useful.  Is there any way to do the
same thing without the mouse and/or redefine mouse buttons
that make this happen??? e.g. right mouse button without
Ctrl??

Chris

@ 2003-11-29  3:13     ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-11-29  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Seberino wrote:
> Bruce
>
> Thanks for info.  EMacro appears to be a tool to design different
> .emacs files easily. Is that right?
No, it is a kitchen-sink .emacs, that makes Emacs easier & more powerful.

> Is tab-mode.el only found in EMacro
> or is it part of Emacs itself already?
tab-mode.el was developed independently of EMacro, and works
stand-alone. It is not (yet) bundled with Emacs.
Note also that XEmacs supports tabs.

@ 2003-11-29 14:27     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2003-11-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

When you find speedbar nice then maybe you find ECB nice too - maybe even more
nice (or less ;-)... ECB is the Emacs Code Browser which let you browse files
and code-contents.

>From the homepage at http://ecb.sourceforge.net:

ECB stands for "Emacs Code Browser" and is a source code browser for (X)Emacs.
It is a global minor-mode which displays a couple of windows that can be used
to browse directories, files and file-contents like methods and variables. It
supports source-code parsing for semantic-supported languages like Java, C,
C++, Elisp and Scheme as well as for source-types supported "only" by imenu or
etags (e.g. perl, TeX, LaTeX etc.).

Here is an ascii-screenshot of what ECB offers you:

|              |                                                 |
| Directories  |                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
|--------------|                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
| Sources      |                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
|--------------|                 Edit-window(s)                  |
|              |        (can be splitted in two windows)         |
| Methods/Vars |                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
|--------------|                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
| History      |                                                 |
|              |                                                 |
|                 Compilation-window (optional)                  |

This is only one example-layout - ECB offers a lot of different layouts.

Just go to the screenshot section of ECB-homepage and see if you like it...

Ciao,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-11-30 14:09     ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-11-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 Nov 2003, seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> Galen
>
> Thanks,  This looks very useful.  Is there any way to do the
> same thing without the mouse and/or redefine mouse buttons
> that make this happen??? e.g. right mouse button without
> Ctrl??

I wouldn't try to do anymore with that functionality.  If you
want a non-mouse solution, look at ibuffer.  It has loads of
customizable functionality to handle your buffer listing.
--
Galen Boyer

* Re: How get Microsoft Office style FOLDER TABS in Emacs?
@ 2003-12-16 23:46     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-16 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (Christian Seberino) writes:

> Thanks,  This looks very useful.  Is there any way to do the
> same thing without the mouse and/or redefine mouse buttons
> that make this happen??? e.g. right mouse button without
> Ctrl??

I second the suggestion to try ibuffer.  To get a glimpse of what it
can do, try M-x electric-buffer-list RET.

Another useful feature is iswitchb.  It allows you to type substrings
of buffer names to narrow down the search.  Try it ;-)

I now have these tabs thingies in Eclipse, and I know that I won't
miss them when I go back to Emacs.

Kai